Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   polishing feed ramp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/polishing-feed-ramp-53033/)

jgwillir 12-05-2011 01:05 PM

polishing feed ramp

Hi everyone, I am relatively new here and was wondering. I hear a lot of people talking about polishing the feed ramp of their firearms, using their Dremels. Is there a special compound or polish that should be used when doing this? Or should I just use the Dremel polishing pad by itself? Thanks for anyones info in advance.

J.G.

HOSSFLY 12-05-2011 01:25 PM

Its hard for me to tell someone not to do something I do myself-
I polish mine with a dremel & compound BUT i've been playing with 1911's for a lot of years-
You ruin the feedramp-You ruin the frame :(

jgwillir 12-05-2011 01:27 PM

So with my lack of experience I would probably be better leaving it alone. Just out of curiousity what kind of compound do you use and does it really help?

HOSSFLY 12-05-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgwillir (Post 643837)
So with my lack of experience I would probably be better leaving it alone. Just out of curiousity what kind of compound do you use and does it really help?

I just use the dremmel compound -
I think it helps some - maybe just makes me feel better about having a shiny feedramp tho :D
Its kind of a "IF IT AINT BROKE" thing ;)
Good luck & shoot that thang safe :)

JonM 12-05-2011 02:21 PM

My advice is if it isnt broke dont fix it.

Does your gun have feed issues?? Does it jam?? if not there is no reason to polish the ramp. Polishing a feed ramp on a perfectly working gun may change it to a gun that starts to have feed issues.

PanBaccha 12-05-2011 02:23 PM

Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is usually recommended.

c3shooter 12-05-2011 02:40 PM

About the only time a Dremel and a gun should be in the same room. Your goal is to polish, and NOT to grind or remove metal. A fine metal polishing compund such as white rouge, or even automotive rubbing compound. Brasso would do in a pinch. However, the lighter liquids will get thrown off by the high speed of a Dremel, and you will have a lot of freckles you never had before.

jgwillir 12-05-2011 03:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. No I'm not having any issues as of late. But I did pick up this cheap 380 that I keep as a back up and the feed ramp has some burrs on it.
I thought I might file the burrs and polish it. If I screwed it up it wouldn't be a huge loss.

HOSSFLY 12-05-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgwillir (Post 643920)
Thanks everyone for the input. No I'm not having any issues as of late. But I did pick up this cheap 380 that I keep as a back up and the feed ramp has some burrs on it.
I thought I might file the burrs and polish it. If I screwed it up it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Be a good one to pratice on then :cool:
Just remove the burrs & polish - dont remove any surface metal or change the angle in anyway & it shud be fine :)

Snakedriver 12-05-2011 04:49 PM

Do the K.I.S.S. thing. Take a standard #2 pencil or 1/4" wood dowel and wrap some 600 grit emory paper around it a couple of times and lightly polish the ramp until it is nice and shiny smooth. :cool:

It doesn't usually take much effort to smooth them out and all you're doing is trying to do accelerate the break-in process some. After about 200 rounds, the gun would do the same process for itself.