Pocket Pistol Choice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket Pistol Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pocket Pistol Choice

In past years I've carried SW Chief Special, Sig 230 and American 22 mag. but am thinking of going to a khar, kel-tec or some other firearm. Would like to carry it in my front proket. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Para Warthog.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ruger LCP .380 would be a decent choice. That little sidearm is enjoying alot of popularity right now.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have you considered a Bersa .380CC? I tried one that belongs to a friend and liked it, while it certainly doesn't have the flawless fit and finish of more expensive handguns it works well.

I'm not sure if it's going to replace my trusty S&W 640, but it seems like a good little gun. I don't know how it is in the US, but in Argentina Bersa's warranty is really good.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

FEG PA63 in 9x18mm maybe?

Good little gun (Walther clone) and the 9x18 round will put out slightly better energy than the .380 round.

Just an idea. The PA63 is inexpensive, and it's something that you wouldn't mind if it got scratched up as you carried it.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roybean View Post
In past years I've carried SW Chief Special, Sig 230 and American 22 mag. but am thinking of going to a khar, kel-tec or some other firearm. Would like to carry it in my front proket. Any suggestions?
Depends a bit on your front pockets! You can hide more iron in a pair
of Dockers than you can in a pair of Levi's.

My "carry it all the time" gun is a Kel-Tec P32. (I'll probably upgrade to a
P3AT soon). I carry it in my right front jeans pocket. It's in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster, and it doesn't print no matter what I wear. Anything larger and I go with a IWB holster.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Matt G had the best suggestion so far with the Para Ordnance Warthog. I can TOTALLY reccomend Para Ordnance C6LDA like I carry.http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=13 This little pistol offers the best of both worlds-1911 platform (abeit very small) in 3" barrel and slim single stack 6+1 .45acp with the lightest, smoothest DAO in existance. It does have longer reset than some other hybrid or striker fired pistols, but is a true double action only-same as an "hammerless" S&W revolver-except with trigger pull lighter than even many single action trigger pull semiautos. The very 1st time I felt the trigger pull on 1 of these, I thought the damn thing was broke it was so light/smooth! I've been professionally working on guns 27+ years, and I honestly wouldn't even try to improve on the LDA action/trigger.

If that size is still too big for you, I can absolutely reccomend the tiny little Ruger LCP .380 http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/ -I carry 1 myself in my front pocket as backup to my Para .45. If you can afford it, the Rogrbaugh 9mm http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/ is BARELY larger than the Ruger LCP, but offers full power 9mm from basically same size package. Don't be scared off by the recall on LCPs as Kel-Tec has exactly same issues but they don't even bother to address the problem and continue to make/sell their pistols without informing consumers as Ruger is doing. Ruger has always been great about recalling even imagined issues that sometimes have never even happened.

In 9mm or .380, I would reccomend Hornady's Critical Defense ammo. In .45, go with Gold Dot or Golden saber,

Last edited by stalkingbear; 01-04-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: addition

Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not your everyday pocket carry but I like it!

Mauser 1914 32 ACP

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Not your everyday pocket carry but I like it!

Mauser 1914 32 ACP

cane
ugly little thing but she'll knock someone on their arse though

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
ugly little thing but she'll knock someone on their arse though
She morphs into a pinup when you look down the sights at a Bravo Golf!

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello