Pocket Carry - Give me suggestions/help me choose - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket Carry - Give me suggestions/help me choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If price is of little concern: Rohrbaugh R9

But if you're like the rest of us chumps on a budget: check out offerings from Kahr, Ruger, and KelTec

Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #12

Taurus is a company that will either sell you a fantastic gun or a total piece of crap gun. Usually you can tell which is which just by looking at them because the bad ones are obviously bad. I took a chance knowing I was buying from a dealer that would stand behind what he sold. He was the one who talked me into getting a Taurus PT-145 when I actually had it in my head to get a Glock. I had looked at nearly every Glock model made and none of them really fit my large hands so he suggested I try the Taurus. I knew they had a questionable reputation so I went home and checked out the comments on the particular model I was looking at. Almost every comment I found was positive and the only complaints were very minor and were about models from an earlier year that most people had been fixed in the new model. I bought the Taurus knowing I had another gun for CCW and knowing they had a lifetime warranty and knowing I was dealing with a guy I could trust. It turned out that I didn't need to worry about it. That gun has now fired over 3000 rounds and it has yet to have a single problem other than one round failed to fire on the first strike. It did fire on the second strike. That has to be an ammo problem though. My Taurus has been perfect IMO. It's very accurate to 25 yards and dependable as it gets.

So not all Taurus models are junk. They gave themselves a bad rep a few years ago selling just a few models that were total junk. They have been trying hard to overcome that bad rep since then and they have gone above and beyond if you ask me. Go to a Taurus board and you'll find very few complaints at all.

I haven't heard anything negative about the Ruger .380's being discussed but I have heard things about Kel-tec's. My brother's brother in law is a LEO and he carried a Kel-tec for a while then he quit carrying it . I don't really know why but I intend to ask him Christmas when I will probably see him. But I've seen complaints about some of their small models on the net. I have no personal experience with them though.

You hit on something very important too. You'll want to use a pocket holster for sure. There are just too many things that can go wrong with carrying any gun in a pocket. A holster prevents a lot of those problems.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #13

Thanks guys for all comments/suggestions - I made a decision.

Ended up going with Taurus TCP and love it.

I purchased both a Desantis Nemesis and Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster as well.

Last edited by jpohl402; 12-18-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohl402 View Post
Thanks guys for all comments/suggestions - I made a decision.

Ended up going with Taurus TCP and love it.

I purchased both a Desantis Nemesis and Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster as well.
Let us know how your Taurus TCP does. I picked up a stainless Taurus Model 85 Ultra-light this weekend have not had a chance to go to the range with it yet. I can not wait, I have several other weapons I have to go shoot as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #15

I like my LCP a lot. I had a Kel Tec P32 and it was easy to carry but jammed on me one time bad enough that I had to get a screw driver to clear it. That was with ball ammo. I traded it shortly thereafter.

Despite its size and weight I find I can shoot the LCP well and recoil is not bad at all.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Enjoy the Taurus.

For others interested in the topic, I'm adding another vote for the Ruger LCP (or Keltec P3AT) in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster.

Kahr pistols are also very good, but cost prohibitive compared to the other choices.

I am also very interested in how well the coming Ruger LC9 is going to pocket carry.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #17

Go to Crossbreed Holsters Crossbreed Holsters > Home and check out the supertuck holster. It can be used with special clips and velcro for your belt. Cannot be seen and is a unbeleivably comfortable IWB holster. There is one for your PPS. I for one would not want to carry a mouse gun and my PPS 40, Julie, goes everywhere with me.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer.
Walther PPS 40, Glock 23, Smith & Wesson M&P 40.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

News from the Shot Show 2011

Kahr pistols is going to introduce the PM9 as a value CW model, the CM9. Less machining on the slide, pinned front sight instead of dovetail, and a barrel with conventional rifling. Price point should be somewhere around $400.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #19

I have also heard good things about the Taurus's and do like the slide hold open feature, but it was not out when I bought by P3AT Kel Tec. That being said, I still have my Kel Tec. Great gun for this purpose- can't really imagine anything better, especially when taking price into consideration.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's Mike Golden's suggestion:

He has deep pockets.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello