Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket Carry - Give me suggestions/help me choose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pocket Carry - Give me suggestions/help me choose

Hello,
I apologize for not searching - hardly have any time & would like this thread to be a general summary, all-inclusive thread.
I typically always wear jeans while using a comp-tac IWB holster carrying either a Springfield XD or a Walther PPS. I LOVE LOVE both these guns as well as the holster. However, this holster has clips that have to go over the actual belt & therefore visible if shirt tucked in....

For a new position I am required to wear dress slacks & tucked in shirt. Even if the shirt was un-tucked, I don't feel that the slacks are strong enough (very thin) to support the plastic holster & heavy gun - feels like it would weigh pants down quite a bit if that makes sense....

Anyway, what are my options as I certainly don't like being without a firearm?
I was thinking a very small (NO EXPERIENCE W THEM) Kel-tec or similar, IN A small holster, that tucks into the front pocket of dress slacks....
I wouldn't want something that would severely sag the pants down though from that pocket (i.e. LIGHTER is better.)

Looking for ideas/ways to carry/holsters to use/brands & calibers of firearms recommended/any relevant info. Ideally, not a .22 though I fully realize it is a "capable" caliber & nothing to scoff at.... .25, .32, etc - what do these bullets cost? Availability of ammo these days with crazy shortages?
Kind Regards

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

For those times when my S & W Airweight .38 Special snub is too large or heavy I just drop my Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket. It is so small that that it basically disappears in my pocket and is so light that I can't even feel that it is there most of the time.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5098 Times on 2650 Posts
Likes Given: 309

im partial to the bersa thunder pistols. i got 3 of em. 2 thunder 380 plus 15+1 rounders and my wife's thunder 380 7+1. reason i like em is they fix some of the issues of the ppk/s. that being weight, slide height above the gun hand, and ammo pickiness. the bersa chamber is about level with the top round in the mag alleviating pretty much any feed issues. i am of the opinion that 380acp is the smallest viable self defense round one should carry. the bersas are pretty accurate for the price point and even beat other more costly 380's.

controls on the bersa thunders are easy to use. triggers are pretty nice for a 380 with some creep in single action mode.

break in by shooting at least 500 rounds is a must with these guns to ensure reliability by working out any burrs. the more they go bang the smoother they get. the thunder plus i have fired the most is like butter smooth rivaling even the manhurin made ppk's.

the only drawback to the bersas i have found is turn around on repairs if a part breaks. if i need something smaller than my colt new agent to shove in a pocket that i know is easy to shoot and accurate i got the bersa.

finish is cheap but its a cheap gun i wasnt looking for colt royal bluing when i boght it. the bersa thunders are a very overlooked quality gun for their low price.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #4

i feel that the lcp or p3at either one would be an excellent working choice applied with a wallet holster. depending on your body shape and size you could also look into a pf9. just a lil bigger and its a luger. good luck to you.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1644 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I carry a P3AT on those occasions when I cant carry anything bigger. I use a flat pocket holster. The LCP doesn't point right for me and if it doesn't point I dont buy it. I have shot the Sig 238 (380) and it is the best one I have shot. It is a joy to shoot. At 7 yds I was high and right but still in my 5" target dot. It is twice the price of a P3AT but worth it. The new S&W Bodyguard in 380 handles points and handles well and comes with a laser but I have not shot it. I have not handled a Kahr. I would not mess with anything under the 380. 32 ACP is a semi rimmed cartride and there have been a lot of problems with rim over jams.
My P3AT is a nasty little gun to hold onto. Hold it tight or it will beat your trigger finger badly. If I carry it, I shoot it and range time is not that much fun with it. A piece of bicycle innertube over the handle helps. 380 ammo is in high demand and production has not caught up. Mine digests XTP's with no failures. If you get P3AT, get the extended mag for your 2nd mag.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another vote for the Ruger LCP. I ALWAYS carry mine in my front pocket and it has never malfunctioned yet-even with pocket lint on/in it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Ruger LCP .380
Kel Tec P3AT .380
Kel Tec P32 .32acp.

If you need something smaller than that, then you might look into North American Arms Mini Revolvers.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger LCP .380... 10 oz!... Over 500,000 sold in less than 3 years... for good reasons.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 12-04-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I like my PF-9 in my hip pocket.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

earlier this year I was in the market for a slim semi auto .380 for deep concealment. I went with a Taurus TCP over the Ruger LCP because it had a much better trigger than the LCP. I also liked that the slide stays back after the last round is fired. I didn't like that the Kel Tec P3AT had no slide stop at all.

The first time I took it to the range I had some failure to feeds that i eventually attributed to my grip. With only 2 fingers on the grip I think I was limp wristing. I firmed up my grip and haven't had any failures of any kind since. It certainly isn't what I would call an accurate gun, but the rounds are consistently in the circles at 7 yards, which is all I was hoping for with such a tiny gun. I'm quite happy considering I paid about $300 out the door with a pocket holster and 2 boxes of ammo.

In fairness a lot of folks have had some pretty bad experiences with Taurus handguns, especially compared to Ruger. I've had good luck with 2 so far. [knocks on wood]