Pocket carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango

Not at all, it's no worse than sitting on your wallet.
Well that's not true for me, I don't carry a wallet anywhere near what others seem to. I have no folds in mine, its single layer, holds three cards, my ID and carry permit, that's it. I tried those kinds of folding wallets with pictures and cash and cards and spare keys and while they add convenience they also add extreme discomfort. If I'm one thing, its intolerant of any self-inflicted and/or preventable lack of comfort.

I guess I can see, in concept, how one whom carries your standard wallet in a back pocket could also carry a gun there, but unlike a wallet the metal gun is not padded or pliable. I will admit, I've tried carrying everywhere else so far, but back pocket. While I'm dead sure I wont like it, I'll still try it, just because I have to be sure.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5554 Times on 1910 Posts
Likes Given: 1622

Both the LCP(especially) and Sig P238/P938 are flat and the holster is flat.This helps to alleviate any lumps.
If you're not used to carrying a wallet with quite few few things in it it might be a problem.
There always a front pocket or cargo pocket.

I find it more uncomfortable to sit with a weapon holstered at the 4 o'clock position( although I do wear one this way occasionally) than a wallet holster.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #23

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I got over the slight discomfort of concealed carry very quickly. I always wear my gun to the clothing store so I can try on stuff with my gun. Get some bootcut wranglers with deep pockets that are an inch or 2 oversized and you can carry a gun however you see fit. I am not a huge fan of pocket carry unless it is in a coat pocket. But occasionally I will throw one in the pocket to run to the store or something.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #24

I dont see how anyone carries IWB. It literally hurts, cuts and bruises. I cant sit down without it pertruding from the back and preventing me from sitting upright unless there's no back on the chair. I truly don't understand it at all. Tried it with and without holster, tried every hour and half on the clock. I'm either too fit, lacking cushion necessary to pad pressure, or wear my pants too high or too low. Its more likely that I tolerate much less discomfort than others are willing to.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I dont see how anyone carries IWB. It literally hurts, cuts and bruises. I cant sit down without it pertruding from the back and preventing me from sitting upright unless there's no back on the chair. I truly don't understand it at all. Tried it with and without holster, tried every hour and half on the clock. I'm either too fit, lacking cushion necessary to pad pressure, or wear my pants too high or too low. Its more likely that I tolerate much less discomfort than others are willing to.
Try a crossbreed holster. Its like having a fluffy cloud down your pants

Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
Its like having a fluffy cloud down your pants
That what she said.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. God I'm immature.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #27

Hahaha. But in all seriousness it makes a world of difference. The adjustable cant eliminates the grip printing when you sit as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #28

Liked 532 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 256

As a police officer you learn never carry your ID in your back pocket and just in your front non shooting hand pocket for obvious reasons. Reaching for your back pocket under certain conditions can get you shot and besides more wallets are lost, or picked from rear pockets. A small auto can be lost the same way and unless you have a well padded backside like some women it's gotta make your butt sore while sitting on it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't stop laughing ( fluffy cloud ) but thank you everyone for your advice, when the guy told me about carrying in his pocket he never mentioned a holster. Again this is ALL new to me, guns, ammo, holsters and how to carry. I was at the store (gander mountain) cause its by the house today and everything is packaged up. Is it possible to try before you buy (holster) or is it trial and error?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #30

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I do not personally pocket carry...just a pet peeve that I hate having Anything in a front pocket.

Regardless of my proclivities, the above info on pocket holsters is 100% accurate. Any carry method, be it pocket, purse, holster, whatever, should include a holster that completely blocks access to the trigger unless the gun is drawn.

It's even more important with pocket or purse carry because your trying to extract the gun from a confined space and doing so under duress.

Remember that when adrenalin hits the blood stream, fine motor skills go out the window. Clutching for a hand cannon in close proximity to tender spots like the femoral artery and the previously mentioned cahones can result in fatal consequences for you and leave you completely at the mercy of your attacker.

Definitely invest in a quality holster. Training would not be a bad investment either.

Tack