Pocket carry?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Pocket carry?

I work on a military post and as such I can't carry at work. Thankfully, Ft Stewart allows me to have a gun in my truck (unloaded) so I always had one with me and the loaded mag was in the glove compartment. On many occasions I dont go straight to work nor straight home and I was in a pickle.

Holster up so I could carry or leave the gun in the truck and do my business unarmed - with a gun left in my truck. Finally decided the best way to solve this was to go to a true pocket gun. This way, I just drop the little bugger in my pocket and all is well. Here in GA a holster is required for any carry so when I got my pocket gun I also bought pocket holsters for it.

No, carrying a pocket .380 is not as comforting as having my Commander tucked at my side but it's much better than being "naked". What's y'alls thoughts on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

ANY gun in your pocket when SHTF beats the gun you left in your truck
by about 1,000,000,000,000%

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have to agree, having a 380 in your pocket is better then having nothing at all. If that is a better method of carry for you I say go for it, you could always keep the commander in the truck.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I have to agree, having a 380 in your pocket is better then having nothing at all. If that is a better method of carry for you I say go for it, you could always keep the commander in the truck.
The way things are today, I actually don't feel comfortable leaving one in a vehicle unattended. This was the dilemma and the pocket gun is at least a partial solution...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The way things are today, I actually don't feel comfortable leaving one in a vehicle unattended. This was the dilemma and the pocket gun is at least a partial solution...
I sort of struggled with this delimma too. I solved it by putting an "expendable" gun in my vehicle, and I still have my "carry" in my pocket. Here lately, we have seen a lot of car breakins. I keep my "car gun" nicely hidden, but it's readilly available if you know where to reach. Most car burgularies are smash & run and they miss the pistol virtually every time.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

One thing I'd like to recommend to anyone that has decals, stickers, or anything else that would "suggest" you may have a gun in, on, or around your vehicle... GET RID OF IT.

A buddy of mine "had" a bumper sticker that said "Insured by: Smith & Wesson". His vehicle was broken into 9 times... before he figured out that "Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker really SAID: "I have a gun in the car, COME STEAL IT".

Just some friendly advice...

Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Occasionally it is necessary to leave a gun in the vehicle ie. going in to the Post Office, a Court house, etc.. Fortunately the dwell time in places where I can't carry is measured in minutes, and the gun is definately NOT in sight.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Pocket gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have a 3032 TomCat that rides completely inside my back pocket. Is always there outside of my house, or out of my work station. .32acp-not much, but as said beats throwing rocks.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Should start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
One thing I'd like to recommend to anyone that has decals, stickers, or anything else that would "suggest" you may have a gun in, on, or around your vehicle... GET RID OF IT.

A buddy of mine "had" a bumper sticker that said "Insured by: Smith & Wesson". His vehicle was broken into 9 times... before he figured out that "Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker really SAID: "I have a gun in the car, COME STEAL IT".

Just some friendly advice...
You're right Mark. This has been hashed out before. When I became a Supporting Member, everyone was showing where they placed their decal from FTF. I stated that I placed mine next to my Life Member NRA, in my gun safe. I do not want to tell every Crack Head that this vehicle has guns!! I do not leave firearms in vehicles, but I don't want to have to repair my car or truck, after broken into looking for them.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Occasionally it is necessary to leave a gun in the vehicle ie. going in to the Post Office, a Court house, etc.. Fortunately the dwell time in places where I can't carry is measured in minutes, and the gun is definately NOT in sight.
Not seen, and not advertised. That's the only way to carry.