Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pocket .380s....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Yes, I agree they are pricey. But it's not like you're going to be needing to buy a new one every couple years. Once it's bought, it's bought. I love my P2238.

The P238 has an external safety.
Yep; I realize that, ergo the "locked" part of cocked and locked. External safeties can be knocked to the "OFF" position especially in pocket carry, IMO.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #52
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Yes, I agree they are pricey. But it's not like you're going to be needing to buy a new one every couple years. Once it's bought, it's bought. I love my P2238.

The P238 has an external safety.
Agreed on both counts. Not everyone has that kind of scratch to spend on a pocket gun.
I would recommend saving up for it, but...

And I happen to like the p238 also because the safety is ambi as well. I'd add it to my collection.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #53

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

We just picked up the wife a Bg380 Saturday. She never test fired it before her purchase (usually does). She said she liked it because it was"cute". First impressions are as follows.
Good solid feel. Slide action solid and tight. Trigger pull seemed very long, but not necessarily a bad thing since the safety will never be used. We went out to the back yard and set up a few cans. My wife shot about 6" low at about 7 yards 3 times. I shot it next and hit 3 for 3. (chock that up to experience only, and it was 36 degrees outside too), 2 mags shot in whole. For a. 380 it is loud. No hearing protection at first then ears after that (I know). It could use better sites in my opinion.
Breakdown was a little different, but after a quick YouTube video it was simple (a little different than a m&p or glock. Removing the breakdown pin was a different step.

Overall impressions are that it does what it is supposed to do. Fits perfect in ladies Jean pockets (shallower an narrower than mens) She likes it, it shoots great, easy breakdown, and easily concealed. That's what she wanted and it fit the bill.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #54

Liked 134 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I had to shoot a few hundred rounds thru it to loosen it up.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #55

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
We just picked up the wife a Bg380 Saturday. She never test fired it before her purchase (usually does). She said she liked it because it was"cute". First impressions are as follows.
Good solid feel. Slide action solid and tight. Trigger pull seemed very long, but not necessarily a bad thing since the safety will never be used. We went out to the back yard and set up a few cans. My wife shot about 6" low at about 7 yards 3 times. I shot it next and hit 3 for 3. (chock that up to experience only, and it was 36 degrees outside too), 2 mags shot in whole. For a. 380 it is loud. No hearing protection at first then ears after that (I know). It could use better sites in my opinion.
Breakdown was a little different, but after a quick YouTube video it was simple (a little different than a m&p or glock. Removing the breakdown pin was a different step.

Overall impressions are that it does what it is supposed to do. Fits perfect in ladies Jean pockets (shallower an narrower than mens) She likes it, it shoots great, easy breakdown, and easily concealed. That's what she wanted and it fit the bill.
How was the recoil for her? Is she a new shooter and recoil sensitive? This BG380 would be for my wife as well

Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #56

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about looking for new Ruger LC-380? Supposed to be better slide, +1 more in mag

I have owned a Bersa Concealed Carry...good gun, very accurate, but a little larger than some of the others. My vote for the LCP...I have CT's and love it!
Good luck with your search and SHOOT SAFELY.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #57

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Recoil is minimal. But she shoots a Glock 26 9mm regularly. She also shoots everything else is own, 38, 40,45, etc.

Best thing is to rent one or two before you buy, or at least take her to a LGS or two when they aren't as busy and let her handle all of them and put them through their actions. She will narrow it down quickly that way. Also, ask her where she is going to carry it? Try it out in those positions, that may change her decision too.
Personally I do not like a Bersa. I gave a friend of my wife's who's has multiple ftf's. Yes it is clean, and she does shoot regularly. I've just seen it happen to her too many times to even consider it.
My personal choices are S&W or Sig.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #58

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Used to carry an LCP in a pocket holster; switched to a SIG P238 in a Crossbreed MiniTuck. Couldn't be happier with it, and I shoot the SIG WAY better than I ever shot the LCP, even when it had a laser sight. Better sights -- LOVE those SIG night sights -- and an excellent trigger. Also, with the MiniTuck, the gun is accessible even when I'm behind the wheel. I still pocket carry from time to time, but not as often.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The 238 is easier to fire than LCP because it weighs 60% more and has much better sights. However, Condition One in your pocket is a real concern for some of us.

Just finished watching Nuthingfancy video on 380s and he makes some good points. 9mm is more powerful, cheaper to shoot and the guns are not "much" bigger.

Sig n Ruger both came out w 9mm which are 16 oz n 17oz respectively. Size N Weight tolerance are dependent On personal preferences & environment. kahr PM9 is also very light & compact.

I would advise everyone to handle all of the above and fire as many as possible. Hopefully, one will feel right in your hands. I also prefer lasers and all of these pistols come with them straight from the factory.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 02-18-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #60

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Ya I think I'd only be comfortable pocket carrying with a da/sa or dao pistol... Cocked and locked is still even a little unsettling