places not to carry your weapon.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > places not to carry your weapon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default places not to carry your weapon.

Just got my CT conceal carry permit and picked up a sig 229 w/ accesory rail + night sights in a .40.

I know the general locations, state and federal buildings, schools, colleges. Are there any other places that usually have a gun ban?

malls?

hospitals?

church?

what other places do you avoid carrying your gun? and if you do, have to leave it behind do you simply lock it in your glovebox?

some pics of my collection

T-->B Marlin Mountie 39A (originally bought my my great-grandfather), Winchester .22 pump, Sako 30-06, pellet rifle, MIA is my Savage .410/.22mag over under

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My understanding is that anyplace that they have security guards and electronic screening devices concealed carry is not allowed i.e airport.
Also technically on any private property that the owner does not allow firearms.
Not all colleges have a firearm ban.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You, of all people, should be the one with the results of your CCW class fresh in your mind.

I hope you do not carry until you RE-FRESH your laws! Read:

CT- State Laws

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You, of all people, should be the one with the results of your CCW class fresh in your mind.

I hope you do not carry until you RE-FRESH your laws! Read:

CT- State Laws
took my class in October, and it focused mostly on safe storage and operation of a pistol.

we covered that it is unlawful to carry a pistol into a federal building or school, unless the gun is unloaded and you are crossing school property to get to a hunting ground.

additionally that summary only states that it is unlawful to possess a firearm in a elementary or secondary education school unless you have permission from the school.

i'm not asking only about statutory law, but what places may be legal to carry, but tend to be avoided?

also if you choose to leave your weapon behind (say to run into the post office), do you leave it in your glovebox?

if a mall has a "no gun" policy, does that mean it is an arrestable offense? or simply ask you to leave?

Last edited by red ryder; 01-18-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe this will help.

Federal bans on firearms

The following items were compiled by the Congressional Research Service (i.e. this is what they claim, not RMGO).

16 U.S.C. §26 prohibits the use of a firearm for hunting in Yellowstone National Park. Several other provisions in Title 16 prohibit the use of a firearm in other national parks. Some of those parks include Sequoia, Yosemite, Mount Rainier, Mesa Verde, Wind Cave, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Lassen Volcanic, Olympic, Hawaii, Shenandoah, Great Smoky, and Mammoth Cave. In other national parks, however, hunting with a firearm is allowed.

18 U.S.C. §922(q), known as the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1991, prohibits possession of a firearm in a school zone (on the campus of a public or private school or within 1,000 feet of the grounds). Narrow exceptions are made for the proper authorities, firearms possessed on private property, being transported in an automobile, and several other similar circumstances. (RMGO's Note: a concealed weapons permit allows you to carry in these zones, though state law doesn't allow you to carry in public schools).

18 U.S.C. §930 prohibits the possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in federal facilities. Higher penalties are set out for carrying such weapons into a federal court facility. Narrow exceptions are made for hunting or other lawful purposes.

18 U.S.C. §926A authorizes a private citizen, who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, to transport a firearm interstate from one location in which the firearm is legal to another as long as the firearm is unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

18 U.S.C. §2277 prohibits the possession of a firearm aboard any U.S. ship without the prior permission of the ship’s master or owner.

40 U.S.C. §193(f) prohibits the possession or discharge of a firearm or other devices on the U.S. Capitol grounds or in U.S. Capitol buildings.

49 U.S.C §46303 prohibits the possession of a concealed dangerous weapon (including firearms) in an aircraft.

40 U.S.C. §46505 prohibits attempting to bring a concealed dangerous weapon on board an aircraft, or placing a loaded firearm on an aircraft in property (e.g., baggage or parcels) not normally available to passengers.

"i'm not asking only about statutory law, but what places may be legal to carry, but tend to be avoided?"
I really cant say that I avoid to carry in certain places, it is a CONCEALED weapon permit, keep it CONCEALED and there wont be a problem. IE....dont go flashing it around at a bank or any other place for that matter.

Leave the weapon in your vehicle it you have to run into a federal building!!

I cant tell you if a no-gun policy at a mall is an arrestable offense or if they can just ask you to leave. Here in Colorado it is not an arrestable offense, and if you have a CCW you can carry. Again keep it CONCEALED and you shouldn't have a problem.

I'd have to agree with Canebrake, you should know this stuff after taking your CCW class, maybe you can call up the instructor and ask him/her for your money back. My class covered this stuff in detail.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #6

thanks for your reply amoroque

just wanted some opinions/advice from some people who had been carrying for a number of years.

for example, there is no specific law about carrying a weapon into a hospital, but my fiance is a RN and has worked at several CT hospitals, all of which she has informed me have a "no gun" policy; although there are not signs posted or security checkpoints.

in which case I would assume that as long as it stays concealed, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not a gun noob, i have been shooting recreationally for years; but this is my first time around with a CCW.

let me re-phrase my question alittle bit better.

1. In CT it lists places that you are not allowed to carry a weapon.

2. Through my own observation there are locations that I have noticed that have a "no gun" policy.

3. not all these locations are included under law. (hence my question)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Didn't they go over all this in your class?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #8

they went over the CT law. ie: federal buildings, schools (unless you have permission)

what i am seeing is there are places that have a "no gun" policy which were not discussed in the class or in the state laws.

does anyone else have some insight?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The FTF flunked our Bar Exam.

Only a fool would take legal advice from us.

Taking legal advice from a public forum is only exceeded in stupidity by the people that offer that advice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #10

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can only speak for Texas but, if a private business has a "no-gun" policy (other than a restaurant or a bar, which is a completely different story), it needs to be stated in clearly visible signage at the entrance to the business. But abide by Cane's word about legal advice from any of us.