Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pistol Permit Question (New York)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

[quote=jgand72;487174]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post

It also states that if you have proper cause if you can prove you are exposed to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life or safety. My question is, how many threats to my life or safety will qualify me to carry? I have 2 or 3 (including the stabbing) documented.

I hate these laws. I'm gonna apply for both, and if I get denied for the carry license so be it, I'll be happy with the sportsman, assuming I get it.
You may upgrade your sportsman carry license sometime down the road, say 4-5 years. After the goons see that you're not a threat and know how to safely use your pistol/s, they will/may give you a full carry.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #12

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

... OR you can take Option B: Move to the Gunshine State(or somewhere like it)

and you will have your permit and be carrying in a Castle Doctrine state in less

than a month, pretty much guaranteed.

FWIW, the Florida resident CWP is accepted in @ 38 states, IIRC.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #13

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
3 weeks!? I'm looking at 6 months when I apply .
Back when I lived in Rockland County NY it was 10 months, minimum, and no guarantee to be approved. First you had to purchase a pistol, submit the receipt and application to the Sheriff, then wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
... OR you can take Option B: Move to the Gunshine State(or somewhere like it)
or you could move to VT, where permits are not required. You can buy your groceries, gas and a pistol and be out the door in 15 minutes

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #14

I live in Niagara County NY. and it took 17 weeks to get the CCW permit. Each county sets its own rules and type of permit that they will issue. Niagara County only issues Full Carry permits where Erie county which is just next door might issue a hunting permit or a carry permit. It is their choice. Good luck with your permit. After I got my NY permit I obtained a NON-Resident Pa permit. I got it in 5 days. It covers 26 states. $26.00 and no classes.

Last edited by stevetinman; 04-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetinman View Post
I live in Niagara County NY. and it took 17 weeks to get the CCW permit. Each county sets its own rules and type of permit that they will issue. Niagara County only issues Full Carry permits where Erie county which is just next door might issue a hunting permit or a carry permit. It is their choice. Good luck with your permit. After I got my NY permit I obtained a NON-Resident Pa permit. I got it in 5 days. It covers 28 states. $26.00 and no classes.
How do you do that, and is it legal in NY?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #16

It is a non resident permit You have to have a CCW in your resident state to get one but it extends your ability to carry to the states that honor the
Pennsylvania permit which is 26. NY does not recognize the Pa permit but that is ok because I have NY ccw. If you go online to Centre county pa it will tell you how to get the Pa permit.

" Gun control is not about guns, it's about control "

" American by birth, Southern by the grace of God "

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetinman View Post
It is a non resident permit You have to have a CCW in your resident state to get one but it extends your ability to carry to the states that honor the
Pennsylvania permit which is 26. NY does not recognize the Pa permit but that is ok because I have NY ccw. If you go online to Centre county pa it will tell you how to get the Pa permit.
Thank you.