Pistol Permit Question (New York)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pistol Permit Question (New York)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pistol Permit Question (New York)

Hey guys, quick question. I live in Suffolk County, New York, and am applying for my pistol permit on my 21st birthday which is coming up (I know, it's going to take a few months to actually get it :/). I was planning on applying for a type F Class 1 (Sportsman). However, a few weeks ago I was on the receiving end of a pretty serious stabbing (punctured lung, and a few other organs). If mentioned on the application, is there ANY possibility I could get authorized for a full carry (Class 6)? I'm just curious (my father was too).

Anyone have any input on this?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I hear chain mail shirts are very breathable and quite in-fashion this summer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

As far as I can tell the requirements for Carry in NY are completely arbitrary. The fact that you were assaulted will probably work against you. Based on experience and talk with friends and family that live in NY it is very difficult to get get a CC permit. Most that do get it are connected to someone somehow.

Good luck

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Being on the receiving end of a crime does not improve your chances. As a matter of fact, it does nothing at all for applying for a permit for full time carry or anything else.
As far as being difficult to get a gun permit in Sufffolk Cty, file for one and see what happens. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

Getting a full CCW in NY is getting a little hard. In my county, Wayne, you have to show a need for it such as law enforcement,etc. My son just got his, and it took approx 3 weeks for him to receive it.His is not a full CCW, but allows him to carry it in the car,target shoot, hunt, and on premises.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Being on the receiving end of a crime does not improve your chances. As a matter of fact, it does nothing at all for applying for a permit for full time carry or anything else.
As far as being difficult to get a gun permit in Sufffolk Cty, file for one and see what happens. Good Luck!
I thought MAYBE it could be seen as additional proper cause for a need to protect myself in the future. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
Getting a full CCW in NY is getting a little hard. In my county, Wayne, you have to show a need for it such as law enforcement,etc. My son just got his, and it took approx 3 weeks for him to receive it.His is not a full CCW, but allows him to carry it in the car,target shoot, hunt, and on premises.
3 weeks!? I'm looking at 6 months when I apply .

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

I can't tell you what to do, but I CAN tell you what I did.

I moved to a shall-issue state. Had my permit in less than a month.

I spend ALL my money for guns, ammo, range time, accessories,etc,

here in my new shall-issue state, where I own, and carry my guns.

I spend NO MONEY in the People's Democratic Republic of NJ.

Vote with your wallet!!

GET OUT of New York, or you will be slaughtered with the rest of the sheep...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Vote with your wallet!!
Absolutely!

Quote:
not a full CCW, but allows him to carry it in the car,target shoot, hunt, and on premises.
If this would satisfy you, just move to MS; this much carry is legal for any MS resident over 21.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jgand72;485669]I thought MAYBE it could be seen as additional proper cause for a need to protect myself in the future. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

jgand~~If you go to the Suffolk Cty PD website and read the part for firearm permits it states clearly thet being the victum of a crime DOES NOT enhanse your chances of obtaining a gun permit.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

[quote=The Man;487155]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
I thought MAYBE it could be seen as additional proper cause for a need to protect myself in the future. Guess I'll have to see what happens.

jgand~~If you go to the Suffolk Cty PD website and read the part for firearm permits it states clearly thet being the victum of a crime DOES NOT enhanse your chances of obtaining a gun permit.
It also states that if you have proper cause if you can prove you are exposed to extraordinary personal danger, documented by proof of recurrent threats to life or safety. My question is, how many threats to my life or safety will qualify me to carry? I have 2 or 3 (including the stabbing) documented.

I hate these laws. I'm gonna apply for both, and if I get denied for the carry license so be it, I'll be happy with the sportsman, assuming I get it.

~Thomas Jefferson