I know this advice may be too advanced for a forum like FTF, where people debate whether to fire warning shots, whether loaded chamber carry is safe, whether to shoot to wound, whether neighborhood watch Captains have legal authority to get out of their vehicles... and where everybody ( ShooBee take note ) can be a Navy Seal Chief Firearms Trainer / gunsmith / SWAT Team Leader / MMA Champion all rolled into one...LOL
Herewith, the advice :
1) If you carry a small, inaccurate, gun, your tactics must be adjusted to that gun's capabilities. In other words, if you carry a .38 J-frame, you are armed but you are not equipped to break up a bank robbery .
2) It is generally thought that using anything below 9mm Luger is giving up too much stopping power.
3) Tiny semi-autos, especially .380s have a reputation for far less reliability than full-size semi-autos . A lot has to happen in a small space .
4) Rimfire ammo is much less reliable than centerfire ammo . This should be considered before depending on a
5) Pocket carry has its problems : Pockets wear out, lint gets into the gun, you mustn't carry anything else in the same pocket as the gun, the gun can turn over and not be in position when you need it . A good holster is usually safer, easier to draw from, and allows you to carry a bigger gun ( see item #3 ) .