Personal Testimonies - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Personal Testimonies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. He may have only gotten four years but I bet he wishes he hadn't picked you that night.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorwest View Post
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. He may have only gotten four years but I bet he wishes he hadn't picked you that night.
It was in the middle of the day, next to a busy mall and I'm pretty sure
he realized the error of his ways.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #23

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

My partner and I entered the back door wearing 1980's "bullet proof vests" and windbreakers that said police. The other units entered the front door.

My partner was half a step in front of me as we found ourselves in a trashed out kitchen at the back of the house.

As we all began to yell Police and Search Warrant, a guy popped into the hallway ahead of us gun in hand.

The first shot was not ours, and it was my partners first and last time under fire.

The second and third shots were mine from a colt 1911 .45 acp and I had a clear shot because my partner was on his knees trying to find a corner to hide in.

I have no recollection of raising my pistol, finding my target, and firing the first shot. The training and a previous 3 years of road experience did what it was supposed to.

I had a surprisingly hard time dealing with the aftermath. Taking a human life and finding out your partner was in the wrong line of business, took me a bit longer to overcome than I thought it would.

I thought about "hanging up my guns" for good, but the right people got me on the right path before that happened.

I am retired now, and still carry every day, but almost didn't.

I was involved in another shooting many years later, and didn't suffer any issues from that one.

I still hope and pray everyday that there will never be another. But I continue to train and prepare just in case.

I hope those of you who have never had to draw on another, continue that streak forever. But if you do and have to make that final choice, know that there are great professionals out there to help you deal with whatever YOU feel afterwards.

I am a STRONG believer in getting and continuing professional training if you intend to carry. The square range and a CCW course doesn't do it.

Mud

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

This appeared on local forum, written by an attorney, copied in it's entirety with no editing.

Quote:
How NOT to handle a self-defense encounter

BEFORE ANYONE ASKS THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COMBS CASE.

I lost my first criminal trial in 12 years last week and my client, an MGO member, is going to be going to prison for the next 2+ years. He has given me permission to share this as a warning to others.

CLIENT was driving down an icy dirt road in January when he encountered a car stuck in the ditch. CLIENT pulled over to offer assistance. For reasons not relevant to this discussion, the driver of the stuck vehicle, an amateur cagefighter who was 15 years younger than CLIENT and outweighed him by 100lbs. became belligerent. CAGEFIGHTER started unzipping his coat and threatened to kill CLIENT.

CLIENT, reasonably fearing for the safety of himself and his wife drew his pistol and painted CAGEFIGHTER with the laser sight. CAGEFIGHTER stopped and backed up. CLIENT dropped gun to a "low ready" position. CAGEFIGHTER continues to back up and CLIENT jumps in his vehicle and leaves. While leaving CAGEFIGHTER takes down CLIENT's license plate.

CLIENT goes home and is freaked out. He has reason to believe CAGEFIGHTER knows where he lives. CLIENT decides not to call the police and report the incident. Instead, CLIENT decides to have a stiff drink, which becomes several drinks.

A couple of hours later CLIENT hears a banging outside. He looks out the window and doesn't see anything. CLIENT puts his pistol in his IWB holster and goes to his front door. Two MSP troopers who had just come out to "question" CLIENT are waiting in an ambush position. When CLIENT opens the door he finds someone blinding him with an LED flashlight and screaming at him while another person is grabbing him and throwing him to the ground. Not knowing what is going on he puts up a struggle. His shirt rides up and the gun is exposed. One of the MSP troopers screams "GUN!" and ends up disarming CLIENT after a bit. CLIENT never heard the MSP troopers identify themselves as police and only fully grasped he was being "pounced on" (in the words of the MSP troopers) by police after the cuffs were being placed.

CLIENT is charged with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (4-year felony) Felony Firearm (2-year MANDATORY prison term to be served prior to any other sentence), two counts of Resisting & Obstructing a Police Officer (2-year felony) and Possession of a Firearm while Intoxicated (misdemeanor).

CLIENT insists on going to trial. After a two-day trial CLIENT is found guilty of all four felonies. He is now awaiting sentencing at the Oakland County Jail.

LESSONS TO BE LEARNED

1. Always file a report if you have to draw your weapon

I always tell people not to submit to police interrogation without a lawyer present and I stick by that advice. That being said, reporting an incident to the police is NOT submitting to interrogation. CLIENT should have called 9-1-1 and reported that he had been forced to draw his weapon in a self-defense situation. He should then have said I will come into the station to make a statement after I consult with an attorney.

2. Establish a relationship with a defense attorney and always have his/her number available

Had CLIENT contacted an attorney after the encounter he would have received proper advice on how to handle the situation. By not having an attorney lined up he paid the price here.

3. Guns and alcohol do not mix.

Obvious? Yes and no. Remember, drinking does NOT nullify your right to use a gun in self-defense but it certainly make it more difficult to justify if you are inebriated.

I have intentionally omitted many of the facts of the case and won't elaborate on those. That being said, the above summary contains those most relevant. Had CLIENT done this in all likelihood he would never have been charged. CLIENT now has four felonies on his criminal record. CLIENT is going away for a minimum of two years. CLIENT is going to lose his house. CLIENT is out a significant amount of money for legal fees.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #25

Thanks for posting this. Really good story to remind cwp holders how important doing your homework is. Thanks again for Partdeux for posting.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #26

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

So far i'm proud of ya'll
I feared we'd have some of this "stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood
I was almost mugged the other night by a few guys that are in the 6' range. One put a gun to my head and said the normal stuff they want, I complied. One of the three said look at this guy, he's wearing camouflage and a red beret with a hammer and sickle. He grabbed my wife and started to do his thing, I got control over the main assailants pistol and shot him. The other two started to run and I put them down as well. I called the police, not knowing an anti gun but had called them previously. The police get there and my wife and I both told the same story. While this Anti gun nut was screaming guns kill people! Guns shouldn't be around people like you! Only Soviets should lose their guns! I proceeded to give my statement and the officer asked me if I had a military ID. I produced mine from my service in the Spetsnaz, he said I shouldn't have taken the weapon and dispatched the assailants. I should have wounded them instead, my wife said if he didn't take that gun She more than likely would be a rape victim and i would be how they are (dead).
Can't really contribute- Haven't fired a shot at a human since 1968 -----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #27

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was sitting outside a family dollar in broad daylight, in the town of Whitehaven MS, looking up directions for a local business on my phone and smoking a cigarette, when a young black man came to my open window and put a knife close to my throat. He told me to GTFO of my truck. I had a phone in one hand, a lit smoke in the other, and my gun wedged in the seat right next to my hip. I didn't even think of drawing my gun. I jammed that lit cigarette right into his eyeball and stomped the gas.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
So far i'm proud of ya'll
I feared we'd have some of this "stuff"

Can't really contribute- Haven't fired a shot at a human since 1968 -----
Read below re-edit

Last edited by gatorwest; 06-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #29

Good to hear it Hossfly. I was a criminal recovery Officer. 112 escaped criminals captured and I am proud to say I never had to shoot anyone. A lot to be said for Verbal Judo. I am proud to say that I teach Verbal Judo when I train people in The use of firearms. I do sometimes get the eyeroll when I first Bring it up but after we get into they seem to enjoy it.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I always tell people not to submit to police interrogation without a lawyer present
Very good advice that should always be followed. No exceptions.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg