Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > [Personal Protection Stories]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You were in the wrong. Did you check to see what was behind the berm or where your ricochets were going? Did you yell to see if there was anyone else in the area? Had your head not been in your ass in the first place, the whole situation would never have happened.
Oh almighty master, please enlighten me with your knowledge of surroundings of Sugar Loaf Mountain, Colorado. Please tell me about the fact that I camp and shoot there many times throughout the year, please enlighten me on the fact that the berm is against a steep mountain that no one can camp on . Please tell me about how my bullets went into the dirt and into the mountain while I was shooting downhill into a berm with nothing behind it but steep mountain face.

Dont pretend to know the terrain unless you know the terrain. Which you dont.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Uh yeah, agree with Glock. Up your meds dude and relax. That is the same logic as blaming a rape victim for what she was wearing.

Sorry that you had that happen to you, you could have legally killed them both. You sure had justification in your case. Two more criminals that are still circulating. No excuse to have a gun pointed at you. Prolly worked out for the best the way it went down, just glad that you and GF came out unscathed. Don't beat yourself up about it though, just AAR it and take the lessons you learned forward with you.

Back on the original subject, it is more common than you would think to use a firearm for defense. What is less common is actually having to pull the trigger. My 3 (yes, 3) incidents were not exciting at all. And all three involved...dogs. Once when I was a teen, had to kill a feral dog (we had a LOT of issues out in the country with wild dogs that would grow vicious and would attack either our dogs or as they grew bolder, people). Two other times were "non shooters" just out of the holster and ready (separate incidents were Shepherds that were uncomfortably close and threatening, one near my son).

Lesson learned for me, always carry. The one time I truly needed it for the two legged creep variety I didn't have it. It was just outside FT Bragg (those of you that know Fayettenam understand). My wife and I were in my truck and a youg gentleman had decided that I apparently had offended him somehow (I have no idea why, but who ever knows). Well he piles out of his little car and heads straight for my door. Checked his hands, couldn't see them. It was spring time, hot NC weather and he had the "arctic wear" going so I couldn't tell if he had a weapon. I had 2 choices, run him over with the best weapon I had (my 4k lb truck) or reverse and back up (no one behind me). That is what I chose to do. Thank God I had the room to do so, would have been the same option had I been armed also. Again, not an exciting anecdote, but a lesson learned for all of us. I took away one of my options by not carrying that day. If it is legal (location and permit) , carry 'em gents.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #13

This is as up close and personal as it gets.

Complete Interview With Man Who Used Concealed Weapon To Stop Robbery.

If you watch this whole video the man touches base on how important it is for you to practice, practice, practice so you don't accidentally shoot someone else. There is no text book answers for a self defense situation. Every incident will be different for everybody. He also touches base on the castle doctrines bill.

http://kotv.com/e-clips/?id=5600

Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting that Landor. This is what the typical CCW holder is made of IMO. Not a "vigilante", not a wannabe cop, not a wild west mentality. One can obviously see that it was an emotional experience for the gentleman, that he had no regrets over doing the shooting, but an emotion of relief that it went the way it did. A cool customer for sure, and a full understanding of the ROE for the situation (he didn't shoot again after the threat was stopped). A lot of pressure on him in retrospect. Too bad about the sentencing, but that is the world we live in.