[Personal Protection Stories]

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > [Personal Protection Stories]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default [Personal Protection Stories]

Have you ever had an encounter where you had to use your firearm or someone else was using one against you?

Please post about it.... Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I've had nothing like that happen to me. However one night I broke out the guns because the news reported an escaped killer on the loose near my area. They were ready for use, but fortunately never had to be used.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Each fire fight was pretty traumatic and I'd prefer not to have to relive each incident just to amuse you.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Each fire fight was pretty traumatic and I'd prefer not to have to relive each incident just to amuse you.
Young man please don't be offended by the remarks of our colleague mattg, but he is quite right. These incidents to many are extremely traumatic and personal, and we all have issues with such experiences which are dealt with at an individual level. Life is not a movie and sometimes it does not play to the script.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Wow. Don't stop to think that perhaps he was just curious. Perhaps he wished to learn from the experience of others so as not to repeat life-threatening mistakes.

Last edited by matt g; 01-20-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Wow. Don't stop to think that perhaps he was just curious. Perhaps he wished to learn from the experience of others so as not to repeat life-threatening mistakes. To respond in such a manner second-guessing the intent isn't very mod-like.
The old cliche that "curiosity killed the cat," proves true in this instance. I have never met one person that has killed, or nearly escaped a bad situation with their life intact that wants to regale people with the story. Generally those that do are lying.

No offense was meant, but I did have a point in my statement.

Last edited by matt g; 01-20-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #7

I've talked with many a vet that has killed, and none of them wanted to talk to me about it. Sort of 'if you weren't there you wouldn't understand.' Can't really pry much deeper than that.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #8

When I was really young probably eight or so I asked my dad who was in the Korean conflict if he ever had to kill anyone. He told me he didn't know and he didn't want to talk about it. On the day of his funeral a few weeks ago I was talking to my uncle who used to live with my dad when they were young. I told him about the conversation I had with my dad, and my uncle told me my dad had indeed fought for his life in Korea many times. My dad was in the Corp of Engineers building bridges, and I always thought he had some safe construction type job. I was very wrong. I wish my dad would of shared some of the experiences he had, but I respect the fact he didn't want to talk about things that obviously really bothered him about the war. My heart goes out to the soldiers who currently serve in the military and those who served in the past. Your experiences will change you for life and I hope and pray I never have to experience some of the situations you have been in, but know some of us only ask because we care. Not what you had to go through, but that you came out alright and it hopefully made you a better and stronger person.

Proud NRA member

Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #9

My whole life I never heard stories about death from my military family members until I enlisted. Then they were almost lining up to give me their experiences. I saw grown-combat-hardened men cry and felt the sadness still in their hearts even after 10-50 years. It scares me.

When I was camping with my fiance once, I only had Mini 14 on me just for fun. I shot it at a berm a couple of times before a hike. While putting on my pack, I set my rifle down and I heard foot steps behind me. I turned around to see 2 shotgun weilding men obviously angry. They told me that I had been shooting at them and that if they saw me around this place again that I would learn my lesson. I had been shooting into a berm 20 feet away and obviously not at them, but I wasnt about to argue my case knowing that my rifel was 2 yards away while these men were 3 feet away. I apologized and told them I had no intentions of sparking an incident, and that we should all cool down and move along. Pushing and such followed, and eventually I had a shot gun pointed at my gut. I put my hands up and asked them if we could leave. I packed up under their supervision while my fiance (girlfriend at the time) stayed in the tent until we got into my old Dakota and sped off. I got to the road and called the police with the area that these men were in and told them the situation, making sure the police knew they were armed. I never found out what had happened to them but Ive been back to that area a couple of times and never saw them, so I assume its safe now.

It was honestly terrifying to be in that situation, not for my sake but just knowing my girlfriend was unarmed was very scary for me. Having a loaded .223 right by me but not being able to get it felt so stupid and scary. I thank god almighty that it was barely physical and nobody got hurt (other than my pride).

From this, I learned the importance speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Both my fiance and I carry .38spc revolvers on our hips anytime we enter the rocky mountains, and we both know how to use them. At the same time, Im a strong advocate of de-escalation of a volatile situation. Whenever possible, leave without anybody getting hurt, but if necessary, hurt someone so you may go home alive.

Still, this situation put alot of fear into me, and I am honestly paranoid in situations that feel like they could go bad, which may someday turn into a good thing.

My advice is just to remember diplomacy, but if that doesnt work then protect yourself however possible.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
My whole life I never heard stories about death from my military family members until I enlisted. Then they were almost lining up to give me their experiences. I saw grown-combat-hardened men cry and felt the sadness still in their hearts even after 10-50 years. It scares me.

When I was camping with my fiance once, I only had Mini 14 on me just for fun. I shot it at a berm a couple of times before a hike. While putting on my pack, I set my rifle down and I heard foot steps behind me. I turned around to see 2 shotgun weilding men obviously angry. They told me that I had been shooting at them and that if they saw me around this place again that I would learn my lesson. I had been shooting into a berm 20 feet away and obviously not at them, but I wasnt about to argue my case knowing that my rifel was 2 yards away while these men were 3 feet away. I apologized and told them I had no intentions of sparking an incident, and that we should all cool down and move along. Pushing and such followed, and eventually I had a shot gun pointed at my gut. I put my hands up and asked them if we could leave. I packed up under their supervision while my fiance (girlfriend at the time) stayed in the tent until we got into my old Dakota and sped off. I got to the road and called the police with the area that these men were in and told them the situation, making sure the police knew they were armed. I never found out what had happened to them but Ive been back to that area a couple of times and never saw them, so I assume its safe now.

It was honestly terrifying to be in that situation, not for my sake but just knowing my girlfriend was unarmed was very scary for me. Having a loaded .223 right by me but not being able to get it felt so stupid and scary. I thank god almighty that it was barely physical and nobody got hurt (other than my pride).

From this, I learned the importance speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Both my fiance and I carry .38spc revolvers on our hips anytime we enter the rocky mountains, and we both know how to use them. At the same time, Im a strong advocate of de-escalation of a volatile situation. Whenever possible, leave without anybody getting hurt, but if necessary, hurt someone so you may go home alive.

Still, this situation put alot of fear into me, and I am honestly paranoid in situations that feel like they could go bad, which may someday turn into a good thing.

My advice is just to remember diplomacy, but if that doesnt work then protect yourself however possible.
You were in the wrong. Did you check to see what was behind the berm or where your ricochets were going? Did you yell to see if there was anyone else in the area? Had your head not been in your ass in the first place, the whole situation would never have happened.