Permit requirements (opinions please) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Permit requirements (opinions please)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
18 months of mandatory military service for every American Citizen at age 18.
Wallah... everyone is trained.
...Although the going trend is to abolish mandatory conscription like France and Germany have done fairly recently.

Here's another idea. Add firearm safety training as a class in public highschools... everyone gets trained.
Although I think its a great idea, it does go against the constitution and shouldnt be allowed.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #22

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Which part is against the constitution?
The government can draft & conscript the citizens to military service, but only does volunteers now by "choice" since after Vietnam.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5509 Times on 2876 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Conscripts throughout history have never made good troops and just serve to destroy the moral of the proffessional soldier when there is no real pressing national need for troops serving just to fill a uniform as a drafted bullet catcher.

I think mandatory peacetime draft a poor idea at best. So did the founding fathers which is why thry wrote the 2A the way they did. The 2A is designed in such a way that there will be a vast pool of civilians with their own private firearms and a knowledge of marksmanship readily available in time of national need.

What we DO need is abolishment of most of the prohibitions on automatic firearms, and abolishment of individual states and cities abilities to disenfranchise many citizens of their 2A rights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Conscripts throughout history have never made good troops and just serve to destroy the moral of the proffessional soldier when there is no real pressing national need for troops serving just to fill a uniform as a drafted bullet catcher.

I think mandatory peacetime draft a poor idea at best. So did the founding fathers which is why thry wrote the 2A the way they did. The 2A is designed in such a way that there will be a vast pool of civilians with their own private firearms and a knowledge of marksmanship readily available in time of national need.

What we DO need is abolishment of most of the prohibitions on automatic firearms, and abolishment of individual states and cities abilities to disenfranchise many citizens of their 2A rights.
Not just yes, but He!! yes!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #25

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

VERY well said. And I will also have to add a HELL YES to the last part.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #26

The idea floated of an 18 month service for all is not to create "good troops", but to give training and standardization to all. It would help bring the country together.

The volunteer and professional soldier is vastly superior to an unmotivated conscript, but it's the unmotivated conscript type person that could use some toughening up, some wider perspective and bring the eletist wealthy people down a couple notches to have the same service requirements too. I can go on and on about what a good to society the 18 months or even just 12 months or whatever would do to various social groups that currently aren't exposed.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I was looking at a reciprocity map and SC seems to have alienated a lot of southern states. We share a long border and it seems strange that my GA permit is good throughout the south except there. Not sure it was specifically training but that was probably an issue...
It's cause SC is mad that the Gamecocks suck...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #28

I'd also add that with Vietnam generation heading into retirement and the WWII generation passing on, we're on a track to soon having less than 1% of our population with military experience. That's a vastly different percentage than most of our American history.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor
I'd also add that with Vietnam generation heading into retirement and the WWII generation passing on, we're on a track to soon having less than 1% of our population with military experience. That's a vastly different percentage than most of our American history.
Oh wow, never thought of it that way. Excellent observation.

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk