Pellet Pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Pellet Pistol

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Pellet Pistol

I have a funny question,one that doesn't really fit anywhere but here,because it deals with handgun laws.Here in Michigan,any pellet gun is considered a firearm,reguardless of caliber,air source,or velocity,and they take it one step further to require all pellet pistols to be purchased under a pistol purchase permit,and to be registered,which of course means that you cannot conceal carry one without a concealed weapons permit.My question is this:How in the world do you register a gun that has no serial number?I have never tried to buy a pellet pistol and register it,it has to be a fairly new law sice I had a pellet pistol when I was 12 which was 17 years ago,and it was bought without a handgun permit.I think it is the silliest law I ever heard of.You must be 21 to purchase a pellet pistol,and register it and it is not that dangerous,but at age 18,you can buy a high capacity ak-47 here with no registration,it all makes no sense to me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

Liked 356 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I don't know anything about Michigan State firearms law, so I can't comment about that.

I DO know that the terms "Pellet Pistol" and "Concealed Carry" have no business being used together in the same place, at the same time. Unless perhaps you are participating in some "suicide" forum somewhere....

Not trying to stir the pot here - just say'in.......

Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

As stupid as it sounds,you absolutely have to have a concealed weapon permit to conceal carry a pellet pistol here.Even on the pistol purchase permit,there are check marks for either revolver,semi auto,or pellet.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think what he's trying to say is why in hell would you even WANT to conceal a pellet pistol? It just don't make sense to conceal a pellet pistol to me. It would be asking for trouble IMO.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #5

I know what you guys are saying,but if someone did get it in their mind to conceal a pellet gun,you would have to have a CCW to do it here.I think pellet pistols should have no business being classified as handguns since the most powerful ones out there acheive maybe 30 ft lbs of energy,and those ones are usually single shot.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
As stupid as it sounds,you absolutely have to have a concealed weapon permit to conceal carry a pellet pistol here.Even on the pistol purchase permit,there are check marks for either revolver,semi auto,or pellet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I think what he's trying to say is why in hell would you even WANT to conceal a pellet pistol? It just don't make sense to conceal a pellet pistol to me. It would be asking for trouble IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I know what you guys are saying,but if someone did get it in their mind to conceal a pellet gun,you would have to have a CCW to do it here.I think pellet pistols should have no business being classified as handguns since the most powerful ones out there acheive maybe 30 ft lbs of energy,and those ones are usually single shot.

WTH?? First off, if any one conceals a pellet gun, it would probably most likely be someone under the age or someone who cannot obtain a real handgun or permit to carry one. Second, if they are concealing a pellet gun, it will only be a matter of time, before something bad and traumatic will happen.........to them!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
WTH?? First off, if any one conceals a pellet gun, it would probably most likely be someone under the age or someone who cannot obtain a real handgun or permit to carry one. Second, if they are concealing a pellet gun, it will only be a matter of time, before something bad and traumatic will happen.........to them!
My point is the opposite,in fact,in Michigan a pellet pistol IS a real handgun,and cannot be purchased without a background check and pistol purchase permit,and the pellet pistol must be registered,just like and other handgun.Michigan sees no difference between a .177 pellet pistol and a .44 magnum,absolutely no difference to them.And by Michigan laws,a minor cannot even shoot or hold any handgun, only the registered owner or a cpl holder can handle the gun.So,my point is that Michigan has some really stupid laws.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree they're some damn stupid laws that consider a pellet pistol the same as a real firearm.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wonder if Michigan requires you to register a Spud-gun. Along the same line, would you need a CCW permit to carry a Spud-gun concealed??

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #10

I'm not sure what a spud-gun is,either I am dumb,or it isn't common.Michigan only classifies PELLET guns are firearms.BB guns,airsoft,paintball etc are not firearms.If it is a bb/pellet gun that can load bbs or pellets,it is still considered a firearm.I can buy 2 almost identical air pistols,both with the same velocity,capacity,air source,but one only loads bbs,and one can load pellets also.I could buy the bb only gun over the counter,but here in Michigan,they put the ones that can load a pellet in the gun case,and you must get a pistol permit to even buy it,then it is registered.

Closed Thread