Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Pant size for IWB (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/pant-size-iwb-94778/)

aandabooks 08-01-2013 01:49 AM

Pant size for IWB

I don't carry yet but will when Illinois gets its crap together. I OWB carry on my land but am interested in IWB for everyday. On average how much larger do you end up buying your pants to accomodate the holster?

NC1760 08-01-2013 01:58 AM

In the waist conceal...

For me, not in the least. I carry a small semi 9mm IWB and only let my belt notch out one extra. Of course... it does depend on what size weapon you decide to conceal.... and I personally wouldn't carry a revolver IWB... The cylinder could present a clearing problem when drawing.

DWT 08-01-2013 02:28 AM

For me, one size up or I wear pants with the elastic expansion on each side.

otisthecat 08-01-2013 02:34 AM

Never needed to go up a pants size, just a belt notch or two.

Fathead00 08-01-2013 02:42 AM

I normally wear a 38, but with carry I buy a 40. I was told to buy up one size.

TekGreg 08-01-2013 02:51 AM

AandA, if you normally wear your pants (not belt) tight, you will need one size (2") bigger to accommodate a full-size IWB holster. If you normally wear pants that are not fitted and have just a little room, you only need to loosen your belt.

Please consider a stiffened gun belt and a professionally fitted holster. This is roughly $100-175 and will mean a WORLD of difference in how comfortable your carry is on an all-day basis. Holster can be Kydex or leather but should be fitted to your gun and have positive retention. You don't want to be in a bathroom stall and watch your gun skitter across the floor and out of the stall. Didn't happen to me, but someone I know experienced this nightmare with a generic nylon holster and a room full of men he had to explain it to.

mdauben 08-01-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat
Never needed to go up a pants size, just a belt notch or two.

Same here but I tend to wear my pants a bit on the loose side to begin with. It you typically wear tight fitting pants you may need to go up a size for comfortable IWB carry.

Donn 08-01-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1760 (Post 1321941)
and I personally wouldn't carry a revolver IWB... The cylinder could present a clearing problem when drawing.

Disagree. I've never had that problem when carrying a wheelgun. The only problem with a revolver is the width of the cylinder. Even my 5 shot J frame is thicker than the M&P Shield I usually carry, making the J a little tougher to conceal.

hardluk1 08-01-2013 12:28 PM

I carried semi-autos iwb and never changed pant size. Lossen or take up a belt notch only using a comp-tac holster and up to a 1911. I only wear pants I can been over in or pick a leg up in. No pretty boy britches.

jebsca 08-01-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 1322400)
I carried semi-autos iwb and never changed pant size. Lossen or take up a belt notch only using a comp-tac holster and up to a 1911. I only wear pants I can been over in or pick a leg up in. No pretty boy britches.

I don't wear pretty boy britches, but over the last ten years, I have become a fat boy, and find some of my pants fit a bit more snug than when I got tham. I don't buy bigger pants, but some of my pants tell me I should when I carry. BTW, I IWB carry a 1911. Double stack may be a different story.