PA no longer honoring non-res FL CCW permits
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > PA no longer honoring non-res FL CCW permits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default PA no longer honoring non-res FL CCW permits

I just read an article making this claim.
Now, PA issues non-res CCW permits but only if you have a similar permit from your resident state.
Way to keep the streets of Philly safe!!!

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Actually it won't because concealed carry isn't allowed in Philly in the 1st place.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Actually it won't because concealed carry isn't allowed in Philly in the 1st place.
Good- that means nobody will ever get shot in Philly---------Rite?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Not true. Philly was mandated by The Courts to follow PA's "shall issue" statutes. The only difference between Philadelphia County and the rest of the state is the requirement that you obtain a CCW to open carry. What the new AG is restricting is the use of another state's non-resident CCW by PA residents as their "primary" CCW. Many states already require residents to obtain a CCW but honor a non-resident CCW for others. For example, nothing I have read so far restricts my concealed carry status in PA although I am a New Jersey resident with both a Utah and Florida CCW. Actually the only places around here that I cannot carry are NY and NJ.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Not true. Philly was mandated by The Courts to follow PA's "shall issue" statutes. The only difference between Philadelphia County and the rest of the state is the requirement that you obtain a CCW to open carry. What the new AG is restricting is the use of another state's non-resident CCW by PA residents as their "primary" CCW. Many states already require residents to obtain a CCW but honor a non-resident CCW for others. For example, nothing I have read so far restricts my concealed carry status in PA although I am a New Jersey resident with both a Utah and Florida CCW. Actually the only places around here that I cannot carry are NY and NJ.
In the article the Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane states: ""If you cannot get a permit in Pennsylvania, then you should not have a gun in Pennsylvania," Kane, the first Democrat elected to the post, said in the announcement at a recreation center in crime-plagued North Philadelphia."

As I am not a resident of PA and reside in NJ which is a "May Issue" state, and I have a non-resident FL CCW. I understood her comment to mean that; my FL non-res CCW is not honored because; since NJ isn't issuing me a CCW I couldn't get a PA non res-CCW, and I am a non resident of the state in which I hold a CCW (FL). It is purposefully vague or am I reading more into it than I need to be?
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
In the article the Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane states: ""If you cannot get a permit in Pennsylvania, then you should not have a gun in Pennsylvania," Kane, the first Democrat elected to the post, said in the announcement at a recreation center in crime-plagued North Philadelphia."

As I am not a resident of PA and reside in NJ which is a "May Issue" state, and I have a non-resident FL CCW. I understood her comment to mean that; my FL non-res CCW is not honored because; since NJ isn't issuing me a CCW I couldn't get a PA non res-CCW, and I am a non resident of the state in which I hold a CCW (FL). It is purposefully vague or am I reading more into it than I need to be?
The word cannot makes a bit of sense--BUT the ones who want a handgun & don't want a carry permit shud throw out a big ole screw him!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:

Here is the full text...does not mention any states or residencies other than PA and FL, time will tell what they do with non-PA and non-FL residents. No PA will not issue us a non-resident permit due to NJ's F'd up laws but nothing I read here indicates that non-PA residents are impacted for now but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

The Attorney General of Pennsylvania has entered into a modification of the current firearm reciprocity agreement with the state of Florida. This reciprocity agreement previously permitted citizens of Pennsylvania who were not also Florida residents to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit (hereinafter "CCP") from the state of Florida. The CCP would then be honored in Pennsylvania without the need for a CCP granted by a Pennsylvania issuing authority. This agreement has been modified as follows pursuant to the authority of the Attorney General of Pennsylvania as found in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109(k)(1):
1. If you are currently a resident of Pennsylvania only and have a CCP from the state of Florida, your Florida permit will no longer be recognized in Pennsylvania 120 days from the date of this Notice, or on June 8, 2013. In the proscribed time period you may apply for a CCP in the county of your residence. Please be aware that your local Sheriff or Police Department (in cities of the First Class) will have forty-five (45) days from the date of your application on which to grant or deny your application for a CCP.
2. If you are a dual resident of Pennsylvania and Florida you need not apply for a CCP in Pennsylvania if you currently hold a CCP from Florida. You must, however, carry with you proof of your Florida citizenry/residence along with your CCP identification when you are carrying a concealed firearm either on your person or in a vehicle.
3. If you are a resident of Florida only and have a CCP from Florida it will continue to be honored in Pennsylvania with all the same rights and recognition as contained in the Reciprocity Agreement between said States.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

Guess I was being overly optimistic...according to FL licensing division:

Quote:

Recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer
honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT
of the state of Florida.
sumbitch...

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a Philadelphia resident and have my LTCF need it to conceal and or open carry.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
Yes you can. I am a philadelphia resident with a permit.