p238 for my wifes first gun? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > p238 for my wifes first gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The best for the little women is a 4" .357 revolver and put .38 specials in it. Most women will understand the way a revolver works better than a semiauto. They loose faith when it jambs or stove pipes. It is simple to load and shoot with no complicated buttons all over the place. And then after she has mastered the revolver let her play with the semiauto.
ROFL, Gloria Allred is gonna love this one! You might as well said women are too stupid for a semi. auto. Give them a revolver and hope they don't shoot themselves. LOL

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 03-13-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #12

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Oooooh, the mystic confusion that accompanies a semi-auto is sure to baffle anyone with lipstick. My sarcasm is obvious, I hope.

My wife chose a snubbie 38spl (S&W 642), but she is more than capable with a semi. I'm not sure I would suggest a P238, though, unless she is someone who really likes shooting and is willing to practice with an external thumb safety. The action of snicking off the safety as one extends the gun to fire must be ingrained and absolutely unconscious. And practicing with a .380acp can be expensive.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Well said Windy. You should have used this. My wife and my daughter can handle a semi. So could my mother when she was alive.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Whatever you do, don't TEACH HER that she should be unable to handle a semiauto. That would put a block in her mind that would guarantee that she can't. Just treat the semiauto like any other simple tool, let her practice while you give her a little positive input. Maybe show her some articles about Julie Goloski winning big-time championships with semiauto's.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have and carry a P238 and it is a great 380. My wife shoots autos but prefers her SP101 revolver chambered in 32 H&R Magnum. She says "If I have to defend myself I just want to be able to point, aim, and pull without having to worry about disengaging a safety...." I think she gets it :-)

I will echo the sentiment of letting her pick it out.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I just got a P238 Blackwood for CC and love it. Throw some Ranger Talons in there!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #17

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Give me a break! I have a revolver and a semi-auto. I know how to clear jams and what to do if it stovepipes. The buttons aren't that "complicated", either, nor are they "all over the place". A woman can use a semi-auto just as confidently and efficiently as a man. I'm a little insulted you think a woman can't figure out how to use a semi-auto.
Give you a break, why, because you are so emotional ? My comment is simple, most women don't care how the gun works. They want to have confidence quickly and not waste time learning about every little function on a semiauto. They could figure it out but they just don't care. The revolver is just simple, put the bullets in here and pull the trigger, done. Men want to play with everything they get there hands on. This is just a blanket statement and is based on percentage, not everyone. I see guys with their wives at the range all the time and I get many of the wives asking me if I brought my 10 shot 4" barrel smith revolver today. They all like it and want to shoot it, I take it every time I go to the range because it fits well for every new shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcromer View Post
I have and carry a P238 and it is a great 380. My wife shoots autos but prefers her SP101 revolver chambered in 32 H&R Magnum. She says "If I have to defend myself I just want to be able to point, aim, and pull without having to worry about disengaging a safety...." I think she gets it :-)

I will echo the sentiment of letting her pick it out.
I think this is a good comment, thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

There are plenty of point and shoot semi's out there like Glock and Springfield XD.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #19

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Give you a break, why, because you are so emotional ? My comment is simple, most women don't care how the gun works. They want to have confidence quickly and not waste time learning about every little function on a semiauto. They could figure it out but they just don't care. The revolver is just simple, put the bullets in here and pull the trigger, done. Men want to play with everything they get there hands on. This is just a blanket statement and is based on percentage, not everyone. I see guys with their wives at the range all the time and I get many of the wives asking me if I brought my 10 shot 4" barrel smith revolver today. They all like it and want to shoot it, I take it every time I go to the range because it fits well for every new shooter.

I can't believe you put Winds on blast like that! dude countries like saudi arabia and others of like are cheering for you right now. lol
Im just waiting for the "keep em in the kitchen" blast to come next. lol

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 03-13-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
The best for the little women is a 4" .357 revolver and put .38 specials in it. Most women will understand the way a revolver works better than a semiauto. They loose faith when it jambs or stove pipes. It is simple to load and shoot with no complicated buttons all over the place. And then after she has mastered the revolver let her play with the semiauto.
your so off base its not even funny.

my wife hates revolvers she says they are too hard to load. she has three semi auto pistols all of which she picked. Desert Eagle 50AE, xdm 9mm, bersa thunder.

in fact here is her cranking off a few rounds with her Desert Eagle. i think she understand semi autos pretty well... there are damn few people who handle that heavy recoil heavy torque handgun like she does. if you dont grip it and control it it will jam or spit brass in your face

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent