p238 for my wifes first gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > p238 for my wifes first gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default p238 for my wifes first gun?

Hey everybody, I have been doing alot of research to find a good gun for my wife. She is a little shy of handling guns herself so I am trying to find something to break her in. I have a 1911 and I really like the looks of the p238, but not sure about the small caliber 380 for self defence.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Despite what many may say, I believe the .380 can be a viable defense round with the correct ammo. At the same time, .380 pistols are normally pretty small. If she can handle a larger/heavier pistol, she may be able to go to a 9mm without a lot more recoil & the idea is to have the largest caliber you can safely & comfortably shoot. The best test is for her to be able to shoot various weapons/calibers to see what she likes. Do you have a range nearby that rents pistols?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

The Sig P238 is a very fine little gun. Light, fast, accurate and easy to shoot unlike most of the mouse guns. Comes with night sights. Accuracy and speed count more than size. She has to be confident she can hit her target and not be worrying about recoil or she will miss. Whatever SHE chooses, dont get her too much gun.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #4

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayssrr View Post
Hey everybody, I have been doing alot of research to find a good gun for my wife. She is a little shy of handling guns herself so I am trying to find something to break her in. I have a 1911 and I really like the looks of the p238, but not sure about the small caliber 380 for self defence.
Take her to the range and rent a .22 to start, just to get her to try it. Then let her decide what she wants to try next, advising her as you go.
Letting her buy what she is comfortable with beats you getting what you think is a reliable sidearm, then her leaving it home all the time because she just doesn't like it/is scared of it.
While getting her protection is important, take a bit of time, and get her comfortable with it. Last thing you want is her thinking it was your decision, and not hers.
Caliber isn't as important as her being willing to use and carry it.
Hope you're just buying her something to make her purse heavier!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

I have great interest in this thread as I am seriously considering buying a P238. I have looked at several different smaller guns and the P238 was the one I liked best. I looked at the Ruger LC9, the LCP (which I also liked), the Bersa Thunder, the Kahr P380 and Kel Tec P-3AT and the Ruger LCR.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #6

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The best for the little women is a 4" .357 revolver and put .38 specials in it. Most women will understand the way a revolver works better than a semiauto. They loose faith when it jambs or stove pipes. It is simple to load and shoot with no complicated buttons all over the place. And then after she has mastered the revolver let her play with the semiauto.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1918

If you have several guns, maybe she could shoot some of them to get a feel for it. Especially good would be a revolver that is easy on recoil, with light target loads. Then let her try the most dependable semiauto you have, that minimizes the likelihood of FTF or jam. (The revolver probably shouldn't be your .500 magnum BFR with the 10-inch barrel, though.)

Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

Liked 407 Times on 223 Posts

My wife has one and loves it. She's at the range with it every time I am. It's a great small gun.

image-619564112.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Last edited by griffin81; 03-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

My girlfriend has one n loves it! Low recoil ez to shoot, now I have to say I think it's a must to get the 7rd mag it give just a lil more to grab on to.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The best for the little women is a 4" .357 revolver and put .38 specials in it. Most women will understand the way a revolver works better than a semiauto. They loose faith when it jambs or stove pipes. It is simple to load and shoot with no complicated buttons all over the place. And then after she has mastered the revolver let her play with the semiauto.
Give me a break! I have a revolver and a semi-auto. I know how to clear jams and what to do if it stovepipes. The buttons aren't that "complicated", either, nor are they "all over the place". A woman can use a semi-auto just as confidently and efficiently as a man. I'm a little insulted you think a woman can't figure out how to use a semi-auto.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-13-2012 at 04:24 AM.