Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Over penetration inside the home (interior walls)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Over penetration inside the home (interior walls)

I used to live in a log cabin, so i had a pretty good plan for angles in the home, and the kids rooms were all solid log walls. But we have moved to a much smaller home and all walls are 1/2"drywall except for my 2 year old daughters room which is wood panel (1/2" drywall on the other sides of the studs). The exterior is brick.

I have .45 1911 and a 12 gauge shot gun (just in case - i dont even know what that situation would be) that has been my selection for home protection. But with the house being smaller, it has worried me about getting a good plan in place. I was wondering about your thoughts on over penetration or even a missed shot, and suggestions for minimizing the risk of the kids or wife being hurt in that event (that is one reason i cant even imagine picking up my shotgun).

I am sure you guys have answered this a bunch, but i would appreciate helping me to think through my specific situation.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We did a thread on this, I'' try to find it. Here are a few

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=745167

Off the top of my head, I'd say use the 12 gauge and #4 bird shot. But, keep the .45 just in case! If you have to use any firearm in your home, know what is down range!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-17-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
We did a thread on this, I'' try to find it. Here are a few

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=745167

Off the top of my head, I'd say use the 12 gauge and #4 bird shot. But, keep the .45 just in case! If you have to use any firearm in your home, know what is down range!!
Thanks dunerunner. I had read one here about the #4 bird shot, and changed out my triple ought. Not knowing much about ballistics myself, reading what will stop it still makes me feel "uneasy" about using the shotgun (i dont doubt it, just uneasy). I have a good plan for clearing the house, but you never know when the situation could reverse itself.

So you think take the shotgun huh? Do you mind telling me why that over a hand gun? Even if i need to switch it to a lower caliber i have several alternatives (even if i have to buy a new one).

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bird shot will penetrate sheetrock at close range, but not multiple walls. this isn't the best vid, I'll keep looking.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you go with the shotgun use the smallest shot you can get. At close range it won`t make any difference to the person you hit, but the smaller the shot the less penatration you will get. I am a big bore fan and keep a 44 mag at hand all the time. I always load prefragmented round in the first 2 chambers to limit over penatration and ricochet. These rounds aren`t cheap but you should only have to buy them 1 time, unless you have to use the gun.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
I used to live in a log cabin, so i had a pretty good plan for angles in the home, and the kids rooms were all solid log walls. But we have moved to a much smaller home and all walls are 1/2"drywall except for my 2 year old daughters room which is wood panel (1/2" drywall on the other sides of the studs). The exterior is brick.

I have .45 1911 and a 12 gauge shot gun (just in case - i dont even know what that situation would be) that has been my selection for home protection. But with the house being smaller, it has worried me about getting a good plan in place. I was wondering about your thoughts on over penetration or even a missed shot, and suggestions for minimizing the risk of the kids or wife being hurt in that event (that is one reason i cant even imagine picking up my shotgun).

I am sure you guys have answered this a bunch, but i would appreciate helping me to think through my specific situation.
If you are really concerned a frangible round or a Cor-Bon blue or silver might be useful. Ammo will take down the bad guy but will not penetrate a hard surface like a wall, it will instead disintegrate on contact. Cor-Bon is like a snake shot round, no solid lead bullet but a world of hurt for the bad guy.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
If you go with the shotgun use the smallest shot you can get. At close range it won`t make any difference to the person you hit, but the smaller the shot the less penatration you will get.
So with the shotgun, do you think even 8's or 9's would be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
If you are really concerned a frangible round or a Cor-Bon blue or silver might be useful. Ammo will take down the bad guy but will not penetrate a hard surface like a wall, it will instead disintegrate on contact. Cor-Bon is like a snake shot round, no solid lead bullet but a world of hurt for the bad guy.
I will look into that. Thanks for the info. I am not real familiar with the frangible rounds or the Cor-Bon, so i will do some more reading on them.