Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > oregon concealed carry in car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default oregon concealed carry in car

So a coworker today was trying to convince me that it is illegal for a Oregon CCW holder to carry inside a car. This is clearly someone that is misinformed, right? He says he keeps in a lock-box under his seat... I can't believe even Oregon would have a more insane CCW rules than CA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Welcome......

Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

It doesn't make sense to me. There must be some mistake.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 586 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Some states allow carry in the car under certain restrictions. Like a lock box or just in the glove box. This is without a concealed carry permit.
I think this is the cause for the confusion.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

In s. Carolina, anybody who is legal to own a gun can keep one in the glove box or console of his/her car, as the car is considered to be an extension of their home. But I think it is a no-no to have it in a holster or otherwise on their person unless they have a CWP. And they can't take the gun out of the car for any reason other than to carry it into their home, a gun dealer's shop, or their hotel/motel room without a permit.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In PA, you must have a CCW to carry in a car. You are allowed to open carry but if you do not have a CCW then you must put the gun in your trunk unloaded.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 554 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 690

See if this helps.

Always! - remember to check with your local authorities to confirm and verify laws you find on the internet. Yes, EVERYTHING on the internet is true but...

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

Quote:
...Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms “in public places” which, oddly enough, includes your car.
If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or “not readily accessible.” That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don’t, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.
Long guns do not have to be “not readily accessible” but if you don’t have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded carry it must be unloaded.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranostay View Post
So a coworker today was trying to convince me that it is illegal for a Oregon CCW holder to carry inside a car. This is clearly someone that is misinformed, right? He says he keeps in a lock-box under his seat... I can't believe even Oregon would have a more insane CCW rules than CA
I know from a traveling thru Oregon that I could carry in the car if my gun was either locked and out of reach or in plain sight of the officer

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts

If you have an Oregon Permit you can carry loaded on your person in Oregon.

Oregon does not acknowledge any other states permit.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

First- welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here- and when you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say hello.

Second, you will find an awful lot of people practicing law (badly) without a license. They are convinced they know what the law says, and have not a clue.

Usually it is not my job to convince them otherwise.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.