opnions please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > opnions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default opnions please

hi I was wondering on ccw I own a 1st gen glock 17 and a taurus 85 38 special snubby I was lookin for opnions on which is a better self defense cc gun I know the taurus has better stopping power but less rounds what are you thoughs I really appreciate the advise

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Hi Rich- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop by the intro thread, and say hello. I moved your thread over to concealed carry, where it will get more responses. You had it in the section for website support.

Would need to know a bit about your carry plans to give you a solid answer. When I was an active LEO, working in civvies, I carried a 1911A1. Yes, big and heavy- but that was part of my job. Now I am semi-retired, I carry a much smaller, lighter gun.

A cannon does nothing for you if you left it in the safe because it was too big/ heavy for where you were going and what you were wearing that day.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbutler
hi I was wondering on ccw I own a 1st gen glock 17 and a taurus 85 38 special snubby I was lookin for opnions on which is a better self defense cc gun I know the taurus has better stopping power but less rounds what are you thoughs I really appreciate the advise
Actually, with good ammo choice the 9mm Glock has both better stopping power than the .38 Taurus AND more rounds. My own primary carry gun is a Glock 17 although I am considering replacing it with a Glock 19 (same caliber in a slightly smaller gun).

I (and most people I know) consider five shot .38 snubbies as second choice weapons when you can't carry something larger.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nothing wrong with 9mm.

Pic of the 17?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats what ive been carrying latley is a Glock 17 and i feel comfortable with the 9mm for a self defence round. I personally wouldnt go any smaller but thats just me. My wife carrys a S&W 638 airweight .38+p with only five rounds and i would carry that and still feel comfortable with it. Its all about what you will carry and are comfortable with. My Glock is a gen3 and its not that heavy to carry all day. My wifes S&W is about half the weight of my glock unloaded. Just what ever you carry make sure you carry it and practice, practice, practice.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

thanks I will set up my profile and get some pics up

Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

You guys that talk about "stopping power" with a hand gun round are fooling yourselves, hand gun rounds don't have good stopping power, it's a farce. SHOT PLACEMENT is what matters. I carry a S&W 642 in my right front pocket. I practice with it and I am comfortable with it and that is what matters most. I am most worried about being robbed at my work late at night, the longest shot I might have to make is about 15 feet, for me and my situation the .38 with +P is my choice. It's light, rides well in the pocket and I can hit what I aim at.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

The .38spl and 9mm are ballistically close to each other, so it comes down to whether you want a full size semi auto it a light wheelgun. Buy or borrow a holster for each and practice carrying at home, unloaded.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

I am comfortable with each I've owned shot and cc for the last 6 years for the glock I use a iwb holster which is still hard to conceal and the snub I have a leather hip holster I live in Stratford ct I'm inbetween Bridgeport and new haven ct there's shooting every night there and I want to know my family and I are safe which is why I carry the glock for the added rounds I also use hydra shock instead of Luger target rounds but once or twice when chambering a round I've had the glock jam up that why I've though of using a revolver I clean them both monthly with a full breakdown

Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

The glock jamming could be the ammo, try a different premium HP ammo and test it a plenty. Also, periods between your sentences makes it easier to understand what you are saying.

Feral cat waterboarder