Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   opnions please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/opnions-please-73371/)

richbutler 09-29-2012 01:47 AM

opnions please

hi I was wondering on ccw I own a 1st gen glock 17 and a taurus 85 38 special snubby I was lookin for opnions on which is a better self defense cc gun I know the taurus has better stopping power but less rounds what are you thoughs I really appreciate the advise

c3shooter 09-29-2012 05:16 AM

Hi Rich- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop by the intro thread, and say hello. I moved your thread over to concealed carry, where it will get more responses. You had it in the section for website support.

Would need to know a bit about your carry plans to give you a solid answer. When I was an active LEO, working in civvies, I carried a 1911A1. Yes, big and heavy- but that was part of my job. Now I am semi-retired, I carry a much smaller, lighter gun.

A cannon does nothing for you if you left it in the safe because it was too big/ heavy for where you were going and what you were wearing that day.

mdauben 09-29-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richbutler
hi I was wondering on ccw I own a 1st gen glock 17 and a taurus 85 38 special snubby I was lookin for opnions on which is a better self defense cc gun I know the taurus has better stopping power but less rounds what are you thoughs I really appreciate the advise

Actually, with good ammo choice the 9mm Glock has both better stopping power than the .38 Taurus AND more rounds. My own primary carry gun is a Glock 17 although I am considering replacing it with a Glock 19 (same caliber in a slightly smaller gun).

I (and most people I know) consider five shot .38 snubbies as second choice weapons when you can't carry something larger.

willfully armed 09-29-2012 05:50 AM

Nothing wrong with 9mm.

Pic of the 17?

fupuk 09-29-2012 06:39 AM

Thats what ive been carrying latley is a Glock 17 and i feel comfortable with the 9mm for a self defence round. I personally wouldnt go any smaller but thats just me. My wife carrys a S&W 638 airweight .38+p with only five rounds and i would carry that and still feel comfortable with it. Its all about what you will carry and are comfortable with. My Glock is a gen3 and its not that heavy to carry all day. My wifes S&W is about half the weight of my glock unloaded. Just what ever you carry make sure you carry it and practice, practice, practice.

richbutler 09-29-2012 03:08 PM

thanks I will set up my profile and get some pics up

JD1969 09-29-2012 03:43 PM

You guys that talk about "stopping power" with a hand gun round are fooling yourselves, hand gun rounds don't have good stopping power, it's a farce. SHOT PLACEMENT is what matters. I carry a S&W 642 in my right front pocket. I practice with it and I am comfortable with it and that is what matters most. I am most worried about being robbed at my work late at night, the longest shot I might have to make is about 15 feet, for me and my situation the .38 with +P is my choice. It's light, rides well in the pocket and I can hit what I aim at.

primer1 09-29-2012 04:00 PM

The .38spl and 9mm are ballistically close to each other, so it comes down to whether you want a full size semi auto it a light wheelgun. Buy or borrow a holster for each and practice carrying at home, unloaded.

richbutler 09-29-2012 04:11 PM

I am comfortable with each I've owned shot and cc for the last 6 years for the glock I use a iwb holster which is still hard to conceal and the snub I have a leather hip holster I live in Stratford ct I'm inbetween Bridgeport and new haven ct there's shooting every night there and I want to know my family and I are safe which is why I carry the glock for the added rounds I also use hydra shock instead of Luger target rounds but once or twice when chambering a round I've had the glock jam up that why I've though of using a revolver I clean them both monthly with a full breakdown

primer1 09-29-2012 08:21 PM

The glock jamming could be the ammo, try a different premium HP ammo and test it a plenty. Also, periods between your sentences makes it easier to understand what you are saying.