Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Opinion on the Bersa Thunder .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Opinion on the Bersa Thunder .380

I already own a Glock 23 Gen 4. That is my main home protector and conceal carry gun. It is fine in the winter because I usually wear a big coat and can carry it on my side in a holster. When it warms up, it will be too big to conceal. I was interested in the bodyguard .380, but there are huge waiting lists and it is very expensive for what it is. I saw a Bersa Thunder .380 at a local gun store today and it felt good and is very small and easy to conceal. Plus it had a price tag of $226. Wow!!!!! Wanted to know some opinions on this gun. Looks like a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeemosoby
I already own a Glock 23 Gen 4. That is my main home protector and conceal carry gun. It is fine in the winter because I usually wear a big coat and can carry it on my side in a holster. When it warms up, it will be too big to conceal. I was interested in the bodyguard .380, but there are huge waiting lists and it is very expensive for what it is. I saw a Bersa Thunder .380 at a local gun store today and it felt good and is very small and easy to conceal. Plus it had a price tag of $226. Wow!!!!! Wanted to know some opinions on this gun. Looks like a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
Bersa makes a pretty damn good firearm IMO. Trigger pull is amazingly smooth-i was floored on how well it functioned. I got rid of mine after about 500 rnds-ammo is ridiculously priced. Not one problem out of the 500 I shot. Good weapon and dependable. Don't waste your $ on a .380. If you want compact, spend another $100 or so and get a Ruger LC9. My shop is selling them for $325 if i remember right.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Bersa is a good gun, I like mine a lot. I don't use it as a defensive firearm or even shoot it much because of ammo cost, it's one of those guns I have just because. I have never had a problem with the accuracy or reliability of it. If you like it then go for it.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16914 Times on 9803 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

i bought one last year for the wife, NIB, $270 + tax. she likes it alot and i have shot it some. works great and functions very well. biggest drawback is the cost of the ammo. other than that, it's great little pistol. anything in 380 is going to use expensive ammo. fit and finish are pretty good and after field stripping it, appears very well made too. at $226, i would go for it, as that seems like a really good price.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

I love beers firearms! U can't beat them specially for theire prices!
I think they make a great gun with great quality

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 514 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Wife has one, she shoots it better then her 9. I don't particuraly like it, but I can hit what I aim at with it.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

My wife has the Thunder .380 & I have the Concealed Carry .380. She's really not into going to the range & shooting so she only shot a couple of mag loads through it to get the feel of it & learn the controls. I broke both of them in. Cycled & shot anything I tried in them with no uh-ohs & more accurate than I am (My wife's a much better shooter than I am).

I've talked to some that had both the Bersa & the Boyguard & they report the Bersa has the best trigger.

Some say their's is picky about ammo, so best to buy a small amount of various brands until you know for sure what they like. Once broken in, they'll usually handle anything. Being the "blow-back" design, they are subject to limp wristing & the recoil has a little bit of snap to it, but not a problem even with my weakened wrists. They are known to come heavily gunked up with preservative, so need a very thorough cleaning & lube before shooting.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

I enjoyed mine very much until it went to my sister; now, she likes it. It ate/eats Magtech and some Wallyworld ammo for target practice without a hiccup and did fine with some federal hydrashock hollowpoints. I really liked the flat nickel finish. Mags aren't cheap, but they are available online.

I will probably buy another one soon, probably the 15 round capacity model.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 02-10-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 442

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=83&name=.380+Auto

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've owned a Bersa 380 for about 12 years and although I don't often shoot it anymore I still love it and I will never sell it. Good gun, reliable, accurate and surprisingly smooth for its price range. It was the first gun I used for concealed carry. I usually carry a G19 now, (same size as your G23) and with a good IWB holster I really dont find it any harder to conceal than the Bersa, but hey, any excuse to buy another gun.