Open vs. Concealed carry - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Open vs. Concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc
In VA you can only carry a pistol while hunting if you have a CC permit( on you.) Open or concealed.
Can you offer some supporting information?

That is not how I read the law at all.
http://vaguninfo.com/pages/opencarry.htm

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Permit_Not_Necessa ry

http://www.virginiaopencarry.org/

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 10-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #62
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

here in wisconsin we have open and concealed carry. having open carry is nice since i can carry owb without having to worry about tards freeking out cuz they saw the outline of a gun.

i can typically carry a much bigger pistol that i normally would for ccw and not worry if it pokes out a bit.

most people dont notice or care long as its not sitting there is a leg drop rig or a chest rig or some other tacticool application.

just giving passing effort to drop a shirt tail over the gun is generally enough here to prevent having some sheep dialing 911 and you getting interviewed by the constables.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #63

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

. Possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun

Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #64

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
here in wisconsin we have open and concealed carry. having open carry is nice since i can carry owb without having to worry about tards freeking out cuz they saw the outline of a gun.

i can typically carry a much bigger pistol that i normally would for ccw and not worry if it pokes out a bit.

most people dont notice or care long as its not sitting there is a leg drop rig or a chest rig or some other tacticool application.

just giving passing effort to drop a shirt tail over the gun is generally enough here to prevent having some sheep dialing 911 and you getting interviewed by the constables.
That has been my experience in wa as well. I think that in urban america guns are thought of as on tv, used by cops & military, and criminals. They dont know what they are looking at. In rural america many wont care if youre carrying as they probably own and/or are carrying as well.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #65

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

304inc,
That clears it up. Dropping a few words makes a difference.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #66

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
304inc,
That clears it up. Dropping a few words makes a difference.
Now that's the way I understood it, and the way the instructors at my ccw class and when I took my son to hunters ed class taught it. Now I know that you can hunt with pistols but I'm not sure if a license is needed for that also,, if I am missing something let me know, I would much rather be legal then right,,lol

Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #67

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I dunno about your state but here there are certain barrel and power requirements for you hunting handguns. What I was getting at is the handgun is either one or the other, if it is being carried CCW it is not to be used for any hunting purpose. If it is part of your hunting tackle it has to be kept just like your rifle or shotgun....Unloaded away from the road and in the vehicle etc. Otherwise it would be way to easy to claim a magnum or my Delta as a CCW and then road hunt with it.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #68

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

When I open carry I have a concealed weapon also. It's not that I feel a need for a backup weapon. Most of the time I had the concealed weapon on me when I strapped the OC weapon on. Other than times when we have a predator ruining my sources of free range eggs I don't open carry. Don't mess with my eggs!!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55
I dunno about your state but here there are certain barrel and power requirements for you hunting handguns. What I was getting at is the handgun is either one or the other, if it is being carried CCW it is not to be used for any hunting purpose. If it is part of your hunting tackle it has to be kept just like your rifle or shotgun....Unloaded away from the road and in the vehicle etc. Otherwise it would be way to easy to claim a magnum or my Delta as a CCW and then road hunt with it.
Wow sounds like your state has some BS hunting regulations. Its illegal to shoot from the road in my state. But they don't try to dictate what you do with your ammo and gun. What state are you in? Paste a copy of those crazy loading/unloading regulations on here!!! I want to see them.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #70

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
I disagree, i have only one handgun, it is my edc and trail gun, it is legal for hunting, and although my state (wa) also has a no hunting on roadside (except qualified disabled), i have the self control to abide by the law. If im doing any "shooting" roadside, it is with a camera, or in the less than likely event that i need to defend my life.