Open vs. Concealed carry - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Open vs. Concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Thanks Doc.
Sometimes "common sense" and "good sense" are two different things...
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Thanks Doc.
Sometimes "common sense" and "good sense" are two different things...
If only good sense was common. <sigh>

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #43

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I'm gonna make one reply to offer some input, then I'm outta here, to avoid getting into the name-calling and bad-mouthing:
There are pro's and cons for open carry and concealed carry. In my lowly opinion, it depends on the environment and situation. I believe open carry is needed for cops and security people as a show of force and a deterrent to their being attacked. I believe that open carry in the boondocks when camping, hiking, and hunting is OK as long as there are not a bunch of people including young kids in the area. I believe that open carry is OK in an environment where it is commonplace and will not draw undue attention.
Concealed carry has its pros and cons. I believe concealed carry is best in an urban environment where there are many people around who would be scared or offended by open carry. Also, concealed carry in an urban environment can keep you from being the first person shot if you are in a store when the thugs come in to rob it.
So consider where, what, and why you'll be carrying, and make your decision for the best option under the circumstances.
+1 That's sorta my thoughts. Being a gun nut I would love to live in a world of open carry but unfortunately it doesn't always work well in the real world we do live in so I basically use what you have posted as guidelines. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You could also say that the bad guy was deterred by the mere presence of customers, whether they were carrying or not.

There is one huge point in favor of concealed carry over open carry. With concealed carry you have the choice of complying or acting against the bad guy. In an untenable situation this may make a difference in whether you live, die, or spend your life in prison. With a visible firearm it's my opinion that the choice will be taken away from you.
This is what I am referring to as the 'element of surprise'!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have nothing further to contribute to this discussion.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
This is what I am referring to as the 'element of surprise'!
I was thinking more about a legal duty to act on the part of a civilian. There is none. You have to read every situation and decide on whether you should act or comply, and which one gives you the greatest chance of survival.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Having spent quite a bit of time around violent criminals, I can say with good authority that the majority of them are deterred by the visible presence of a firearm.

Ill give 1 example of many. While riding in my POV I observed 8-10 people advance on a nice car with the obvious (to me) intent to either rob the guy or steal the car or perform some other type of violent activity.

He was open carrying a 1911. They scattered like roaches as soon as one guy spotted it.

Deterrence is a factor. It is real, despite what the vehement CC nazis like to believe.

I personally don't like the attention but I've open carried quite often in various different situations.

My recommendation to open carriers is always to get a holster made for law enforcement with level III retention. And above all, to use common sense and be polite and professional with others. Don't TRY to make a scene if you can avoid one, it just makes you look like a paranoid douche from the fringe element.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 258

I think it depends on the situation if you were in a mall that was attacked like in Kenya open carry would definitely have being a disadvantage. Concealed carry would have given you the option if and when to act. If as in Kenya they carried out surveillance before the attack open carry would not have deterred them just make sure you were the first to be shot. The same could go for a school or cinema for example.

Last edited by manta; 10-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I think it depends on the situation if you were in a mall that was attacked like in Kenya open carry would definitely have being a disadvantage. Concealed carry would have given you the option if and when to act. If as in Kenya they carried out surveillance before the attack open carry would not have deterred them just make sure you were the first to be shot. The same could go for a school or cinema for example.
Yes extremely violent and calculated criminals will target someone with a gun. But you're much more likely to deal with normal street thugs who are picking likely targets and relying on hitting them hard and fast to get away.

I have worked in bonding and observed the charges for literally thousands of criminals. I had to explain what happened in the charges of hundreds of murderers and thousands of violent criminals to their immediate family members. I can only remember a total of 6 that were calculated enough in their MO to have staked out the place and been prepared to kill someone else who was armed before accomplishing their main goal. And one of those was a bank robbery.

Only once did I ever see a criminal who attacked and disarmed an open carrier who was not a cop or armed security.

But since it DID happen, I recommend the level III holsters and weapons retention training to all OCers. Nothing makes you feel like more of a b**** than being robbed and pistol whipped with your own gun.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I was thinking more about a legal duty to act on the part of a civilian. There is none. You have to read every situation and decide on whether you should act or comply, and which one gives you the greatest chance of survival.
AND the survival of others. This is precisely why I said what I said, 'for tactical and safety reasons'!