Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open vs. Concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thank God, I need a range buddy. We're going to have to meet up sometime if you're down for it.

You know the sheriff's range is free for vets? When I get around to getting the endorsement on my DL, I intend to hit them up much more often. Have you been out there?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Jay, there are times when open carry may be better and times when concealed carry is better.

You mention deterrence as a factor. If everyone could concealed carry and more people did concealed carry, and more crimes were thwarted by concealed carry, because bad guys didn't have any way of knowing who was armed and who wasn't, it could prevent more crimes even on unarmed people.

You may have a point that a visible deterrent could be a factor, but it can also be a catalyst in bringing unwanted attention. It can single you out as someone to take out early. It can get you thrown out of establishments that don't support gun carry at all. It can make other people who are not like-minded feel uncomfortable and make them do stupid things.

I prefer concealed carry when I'm traveling in urban settings. I prefer open carry in the woods or deployed into hostile countries.
Very well said. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

What or how you carry is much less important than the fact that you -do- carry and carry responsibly.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #24

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'll try harder next time!
I will expect a full assault.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #25

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Thank God, I need a range buddy. We're going to have to meet up sometime if you're down for it.

You know the sheriff's range is free for vets? When I get around to getting the endorsement on my DL, I intend to hit them up much more often. Have you been out there?
Been there once, range nazis made me not want to got back. I have heard it is better now. If you want to, we can try it out, or, for 25 yards or less, hit the indoor range at TP Outdoors.

Would love to find a place where drawing and shooting was acceptable.

Be glad to shoot with you.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1647 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
Personally I think open carry is better because it makes possible attackers think twice about attacking you and it in most cases is easier to to get your firearm when your open carrying. What do you guys think is best?
I think you are 180 degrees out in your reasoning. I have been a 'hired gun' for the last 45 years (30+ in LE and two combat tours in RVN, 8 years in a SF A team) and the element of surprise is invaluable in a lethal force incident PERIOD! If you open carry you are giving away the element of surprise.
If a criminal is planning to commit a crime you are giving him way too much intell by allowing him (and his friends/accomplices) to know who will be a threat to them so they can plan accordingly. It is true you may cause some criminal not to commit a crime because of your open carry, but there is no way to quantify this.
I support your RIGHT to OC 100%, but I don't recommend it for tactical and safety reasons.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 10-01-2013 at 02:51 AM.
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 444 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I believe Jim is right on the money,,,, to a bad guy who is intent on causing harm, open carry or those who like to wear the " cool " tactical clothing is like wearing a sign that says " Shoot me first ", I have no problem with those who choose open carry, I just feel it puts one at a disadvantage in serious circumstances, the " Gray Man " effect to me if far preferable and safer than advertising you are armed.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #28

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Open carriers say that the visual presence of the gun will deter criminals, and that they just like to open carry.

Conceal carriers will say that openly carrying the gun opens up the possibility of becoming a criminal's victim (which there is no proof that this will happen except for a very few (extremely rare) cases). They say that having a concealed gun gives you the element of surprise.
The statements may be 100% accurate but what you cannot measure is "How many incidents don't occur due to open carry?" If open carry is a deterrent then the action does not happen.

All that can be measured is the actual occurrences with both open and concealed carry. You will never know how many "would" have occurred but don't when the BG knows someone carrying and changes his mind to commit the crime.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 09-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1647 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 808

To each his own. I prefer to HAVE the element of surprise on my side rather than the POSSIBLY of being a visible deterrent.
Not to mention weapon retention is MUCH easier in a crowded environment if the 'crowd' does not know you are armed!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
The statements may be 100% accurate but what you cannot measure is "How many incidents don't occur due to open carry?" If open carry is a deterrent then the action does not happen.

All that can be measured is the actual occurrences with both open and concealed carry. You will never know how many "would" have occurred but don't when the BG knows someone carrying and changes his mind to commit the crime.
You could also say that the bad guy was deterred by the mere presence of customers, whether they were carrying or not.

There is one huge point in favor of concealed carry over open carry. With concealed carry you have the choice of complying or acting against the bad guy. In an untenable situation this may make a difference in whether you live, die, or spend your life in prison. With a visible firearm it's my opinion that the choice will be taken away from you.