Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Open & Concealed Carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/open-concealed-carry-46288/)

Vincine 08-05-2011 10:51 AM

Open & Concealed Carry

If one has an CCP, and is in an state with Open Carry, would one get in trouble if their CCW is seen?
:confused:

winds-of-change 08-05-2011 11:14 AM

I am by no means an expert but I believe open carry must be carried in the open. Conceal carry must be concealed. I think you can get in trouble if your conceal carry is visible under clothing or printing. You can not go back and forth with the type of carry as a gun is exposed or hidden under clothing due to movement. That is my understanding. Someone much more knowledgeable will be along soon.

NOVA 08-05-2011 11:23 AM

Excellent question - I too am no expert and will try to keep an eye on this thread to see what folks have to say. Only thing I can add is I am fairly certain that in some cases if you are carrying concealed and then purposefully expose the gun it can be considered brandishing. But maybe you have to actually remove the gun from the holster or pocket, have it in hand to be considered brandishing? And these types of questions will surely result in some answers saying it depends what state you are in. I'll welcome the day we have a legal to carry law thats the same for all states!

FatPat 08-05-2011 12:08 PM

It all depends on the State. Honestly, much depends on the particular burg or town - even the particular LEO you happen to run into.

Take my State, Georgia, for example: We have reciprocity with Texas. It is my understanding that in Texas, even accidentally exposing your concealed-only sidearm, or printing, is a no-no.
In Georgia, you have (or should have) no such worries as you can legally carry your firearm open or concealed.
Now, having said that, not every officer knows the law, and not every officer is comforatble with the law if they know it. You will run across the rare one that doesn't like a mere civillian carrying a gun and may decide to throw his weight around.
The key is to know, backwards and forwards, what the laws are in any State you may be carrying. If you're going to cross State lines with your firearm, it would be beyond stupid not to know what the carry laws are.

ArmedBadger 08-11-2011 10:11 PM

On our Wisconsin concealed carry forums, in my sig, we don't think this will be an issue. With a ccw we will be able to open carry anywhere we can conceal carry.

If a Leo has an issue with your printing, tuck in your shirt or remove your jacket, just open carry.

woodswalker 08-11-2011 11:28 PM

In Minnesota our permit is called a Permit To Carry A Pistol and it is good for concealed or open carry. Even without a permit if you are legally carrying in the woods while hiking or hunting you can carry open or concealed.

JonM 08-12-2011 12:02 AM

varies state by state.

in wisconsin we have open carry. in november our ccw law takes effect. wisconsin ccw permit holders there is no distinction between open and concealed. for those that choose to open carry with no permit if a jacket or shirt covers the gun they are in violation of the law and may be arrested for concealing a weapon without a permit.

each state is different

Jay 08-12-2011 12:41 AM

Indiana code does NOT address either concealed, or open carry. Our License to Carry a Handgun does not specify either one. We can carry openly, or concealed, and if the gun prints, it's not a violation of anything save fashion.

State laws vary... check yours.

ArizonaLawman 08-21-2011 07:51 PM

In Arizona...it matters not a whit. If it is concealed, partially concealed, openly carried, or "partially openly carried", or carried in a position so uncomfortable as to be unmentionable...it doesn't matter.

But, as many posters have already mentioned: It depends upon where you are.

danf_fl 08-22-2011 02:08 AM

Florida recently passed a law that if your concealed weapon gets "flashed", you cannot get arrested for a misdemeanor. That is their version of "open carry".