Open Carry vs Conceal Carry - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry vs Conceal Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Miami!! Big crime area!! And yes employees do open carry!! Just don't want loaded weapons in there store!! I understand and keep my guns unloaded!! No big deal to me!! If its private property, I assume they have the right to call the shots!! Similar, I wouldn't want strangers in my business or home with loaded guns!! You have to remember, not everyone that carries is legal to carry!! And I guess to save the trouble of checking everyone's CC they blanket everyone!! Get on the range, drop your full mag in and shoot away!! It's really no big deal!!
I grew up in Miami, 31 years in the 305 and even though I now live in Georgia, Miami will always be my home town. I still visit several times a year and go shooting at Hialeah Gun Range. They know me and don't mind if I CC. As for customers they don't know, they ask them to unload their weapons or carry them with open chambers. They have been thru several scares, therefore, I understand.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #42

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Minnesota does not have CC or OC. They issue permits to carry a firearm and leave the logistics of how it will be done up to the permit holder. I generally CC 50% of the time and OC 50%. I generally let the time and place conditions determine the method I use. I have only had two minor issues while carrying.

The first time was when I pulled into our local gas station and parked one day. A young hispanic man approached me between my truck and the store. He started yelling at me because I apparently splashed him with puddle water. So I told him sorry and started to walk away. He yelled at me "yea your gonna be sorry" and his hand started for his back pocket. This is the Leech Lake Indian Reservation in Northern Minnesota, and the knife is generally the the weapon of choice amongst thugs. So when he reached for his pocket I brushed my jacket back on the right side and placed my hand on my Beretta. I never had to draw it because when he saw it he didn't say another word he just spun around on his heal and went back to his vehicle. Had it been an OC day he probably never would have even approached me.

The second instance was with a young Sheriffs Deputy. He was leaving a domestic abuse call down the street from my house and was apparently still on the adrenaline high. I, my wife, and step-daughter were in the front yard of our house when he started to drive by. When he saw my OC, he pulled over quickly and and started asking me questions. I answered his questions politely and when he got around to asking if I had a carry permit, which should have been his first question even though in Minnesota you don't need one when on your own property, I told him "Yep, signed personally by Randy himself". Well you could just see the gears in his head spinning and smoking as it slowly sank in that I had called his boss, the Sheriff, by his first name. When he finally figured out for himself that I knew the Sheriff quite well, he simply said "Ok then" and drove away. This would never have happened had I had my gun concealed.

When it comes to the CC or OC decision for me there is no clear one way to go. In both cases I should have been doing the other.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #43

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaJim
Minnesota does not have CC or OC. They issue permits to carry a firearm and leave the logistics of how it will be done up to the permit holder. I generally CC 50% of the time and OC 50%. I generally let the time and place conditions determine the method I use. I have only had two minor issues while carrying.

The first time was when I pulled into our local gas station and parked one day. A young hispanic man approached me between my truck and the store. He started yelling at me because I apparently splashed him with puddle water. So I told him sorry and started to walk away. He yelled at me "yea your gonna be sorry" and his hand started for his back pocket. This is the Leech Lake Indian Reservation in Northern Minnesota, and the knife is generally the the weapon of choice amongst thugs. So when he reached for his pocket I brushed my jacket back on the right side and placed my hand on my Beretta. I never had to draw it because when he saw it he didn't say another word he just spun around on his heal and went back to his vehicle. Had it been an OC day he probably never would have even approached me.

The second instance was with a young Sheriffs Deputy. He was leaving a domestic abuse call down the street from my house and was apparently still on the adrenaline high. I, my wife, and step-daughter were in the front yard of our house when he started to drive by. When he saw my OC, he pulled over quickly and and started asking me questions. I answered his questions politely and when he got around to asking if I had a carry permit, which should have been his first question even though in Minnesota you don't need one when on your own property, I told him "Yep, signed personally by Randy himself". Well you could just see the gears in his head spinning and smoking as it slowly sank in that I had called his boss, the Sheriff, by his first name. When he finally figured out for himself that I knew the Sheriff quite well, he simply said "Ok then" and drove away. This would never have happened had I had my gun concealed.

When it comes to the CC or OC decision for me there is no clear one way to go. In both cases I should have been doing the other.
Very good points and I love to hear experiences vs opinions! Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #44

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Very good points and I love to hear experiences vs opinions! Thanks!
I think in heavily populated areas CC would be better, to not stir the masses!! In lesser pop. Areas OC would be better to stop potential crime before it started in isolated locations!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #45

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I think in heavily populated areas CC would be better, to not stir the masses!! In lesser pop. Areas OC would be better to stop potential crime before it started in isolated locations!
Depends on if you care whether or not people get riled up over it. When I got out of the Army I moved back in with my dad and stepmom in PA because I needed to be around family. I OC'ed all the time some people did not like and some of them flat out told me that they didn't appreciate the fact that I was OC'ing at the mall or wherever I was at the time. Every once in awhile someone called the cops the first few times the cops came out they hassled me about it after that they came out to talk to me purely for the sake of appearances. One cop actually told the person that called to quit being a little bitch and get over herself. I WILL NEVER give a **** what people think about my choice to OC, its their right not to like it just as it is my right to continue to OC and tell them to go **** themselves.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #46

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
Depends on if you care whether or not people get riled up over it. When I got out of the Army I moved back in with my dad and stepmom in PA because I needed to be around family. I OC'ed all the time some people did not like and some of them flat out told me that they didn't appreciate the fact that I was OC'ing at the mall or wherever I was at the time. Every once in awhile someone called the cops the first few times the cops came out they hassled me about it after that they came out to talk to me purely for the sake of appearances. One cop actually told the person that called to quit being a little bitch and get over herself. I WILL NEVER give a **** what people think about my choice to OC, its their right not to like it just as it is my right to continue to OC and tell them to go **** themselves.
That's the 1 big upside to aging... we all reach a point where we just don't care what idiots think.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-07-2013 at 03:39 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #47

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
That the 1 big upside to aging... we all reach a point where just don't care what idiot think.

Tack
Tru dat

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #48

I just don't think it's wise to open carry. Put yourself in a criminals shoes. If you want to rob a place you're taking out the obvious threats to your escape, any OC is an obvious threat. I carry a S&W bodyguard .380 under my belt and its unknown to everyone but me, I look like a regular guy but I can draw and shoot as fast as your average OC anyway, plus I own the element of surprise.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #49

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can tell you for a fact that if you walk into the grocery store in OC mode when the armored car is parked outside, the two guards standing at the deli counter ordering lunch will get a bit nervous. Neither guard said anything but I noticed that I held their attention till they left. Oops. My bad.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #50

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleadTheSecond
I just don't think it's wise to open carry. Put yourself in a criminals shoes. If you want to rob a place you're taking out the obvious threats to your escape, any OC is an obvious threat. I carry a S&W bodyguard .380 under my belt and its unknown to everyone but me, I look like a regular guy but I can draw and shoot as fast as your average OC anyway, plus I own the element of surprise.
Someone desperate for money and willing to rob a store that would be able to actually see someone OCing would more likely turn around and go try another store than shoot that person and continue to rob the store. I know there is a lot of probability in that statement but who can honestly put real percentages up?

How many of these BGs would you think have actually shot a gun? Say they stole or illegally bought their gun, do you think they would be brazen enough to go to their local gun range and actually practice with it? If they are that desperate for money, would they go dump 100 rounds every couple of weeks to stay proficient?

Carry whatever and however you want, if you're comfortable with it, do it. Just make sure to do it often.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

DrumJunkie Likes This