Open Carry vs Conceal Carry - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry vs Conceal Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Lol you open carry into the ranges I go to and you might get shot, at the very least you will get a very rude welcome!! Most don't even want any loaded weapons on you at all, not even in carry case or bag!! To many drug store Cowboys in these parts!!
That's odd, I would take my business elsewhere if, of all places, a gun range didn't agree with open carry. Don't the employees open carry? Why would they be allowed to and not their customers.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #32

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
That's odd, I would take my business elsewhere if, of all places, a gun range didn't agree with open carry. Don't the employees open carry? Why would they be allowed to and not their customers.
Several gun stores in my area are posted with a sign that reads"

"All Guns Must be Cased and Unloaded"
"Except CCW Permit Holders"

I've asked if they restrict OC and was told yes... For customer safety... The notion beng that anyone stupid enough to try a Rob them would have 4 to 7 armed employees engaging them and the owners do not want an innocent customer being shot in the process.

I don't like it... But I do understand the concern and respect it by simply CCing at the gun store.

Tack

Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Several gun stores in my area are posted with a sign that reads"

"All Guns Must be Cased and Unloaded"
"Except CCW Permit Holders"

I've asked if they restrict OC and was told yes... For customer safety... The notion beng that anyone stupid enough to try a Rob them would have 4 to 7 armed employees engaging them and the owners do not want an innocent customer being shot in the process.

I don't like it... But I do understand the concern and respect it by simply CCing at the gun store.

Tack
I can agree with that, but I do like how the local gun store around me handles it, has a sign stating:

"Keep firearms holstered AT ALL TIMES (in nice big letters) or you will be asked to leave."

I'm not OCing to make a scene or a statement so any rules or restrictions that a private business has, I'll follow.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 06-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #34

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post

As long as it is legal where you live then it is always "time and place" to open carry in unrestricted locations. Just have to learn to quit caring what all the idiots think.
I meant you need to be comfortable at the time you carry. I think if i could OC I would at certain times and places but not others. Just a matter of preference

Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #35

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

The two outdoor ranges I go to allow you to OC, the other 4-5 in the city do not. But they are generally more strict anyways. Which is fine with me because some people need to be watched like a hawk. So I have my two favorite places to go too hehe

Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #36

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
I meant you need to be comfortable at the time you carry. I think if i could OC I would at certain times and places but not others. Just a matter of preference
If I sounded condescending I apologize not my intent.

Personally I am never comfortable when I carry of course I am never comfortable when I don't either lol. IMHO it should not be something that is comfortable because I feel that comfort can in some people and in some cases lead to complacency. A certain level of discomfort is almost always a good thing since it keeps you on edge and your senses sharp.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #37

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper

Miami!! Big crime area!! And yes employees do open carry!! Just don't want loaded weapons in there store!! I understand and keep my guns unloaded!! No big deal to me!! If its private property, I assume they have the right to call the shots!! Similar, I wouldn't want strangers in my business or home with loaded guns!! You have to remember, not everyone that carries is legal to carry!! And I guess to save the trouble of checking everyone's CC they blanket everyone!! Get on the range, drop your full mag in and shoot away!! It's really no big deal!!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #38

Quote:

Miami!! Big crime area!! And yes employees do open carry!! Just don't want loaded weapons in there store!! I understand and keep my guns unloaded!! No big deal to me!! If its private property, I assume they have the right to call the shots!! Similar, I wouldn't want strangers in my business or home with loaded guns!! You have to remember, not everyone that carries is legal to carry!! And I guess to save the trouble of checking everyone's CC they blanket everyone!! Get on the range, drop your full mag in and shoot away!! It's really no big deal!!
I do acknowledge that a very, very small percentage of people OCing in public may not be legal to do so. I was just questioning the irony of a gun store/range not allowing people to carry openly. If it's a rule that the business owner put in place I would be more than happy to put my gun away for a short walk to get to the range.

I'm just spitballing here, but I would guess that someone who is prohibited to carry/own a gun would might as well try to conceal. If they're going to risk a felony charge, why display it?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #39

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper

I do acknowledge that a very, very small percentage of people OCing in public may not be legal to do so. I was just questioning the irony of a gun store/range not allowing people to carry openly. If it's a rule that the business owner put in place I would be more than happy to put my gun away for a short walk to get to the range.

I'm just spitballing here, but I would guess that someone who is prohibited to carry/own a gun would might as well try to conceal. If they're going to risk a felony charge, why display it?
I know in some states, OC is more of a everyday routine and lifestyle!! But I really don't see the need to do it, unless you can't Conceal!! Good way to make folks nervous and edgy, especially Law enforcement!! I guess it would tend to stop crime before it got started!! I don't know,I just wouldn't be comfortable with an open gun on my hip at Denny's lol I'm not looking to put myself under a microscope, I CC, to protect myself and my family!! I'm not interested in showing the world every time I walk out the door!! Just my opinion, no offense to all the OC lovers out there!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #40

Quote:

I know in some states, OC is more of a everyday routine and lifestyle!! But I really don't see the need to do it, unless you can't Conceal!! Good way to make folks nervous and edgy, especially Law enforcement!! I guess it would tend to stop crime before it got started!! I don't know,I just wouldn't be comfortable with an open gun on my hip at Denny's lol I'm not looking to put myself under a microscope, I CC, to protect myself and my family!! I'm not interested in showing the world every time I walk out the door!! Just my opinion, no offense to all the OC lovers out there!
No offense taken

Different views for different people, carry any way you see fit and are comfortable with.