Open Carry vs Conceal Carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry vs Conceal Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1036 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default Open Carry vs Conceal Carry

I know there are some very strong opinions on this subject
Open Carriers are always shot first, Conceal Carriers become unknown targets.

Personally, I do both, depending on the situation.

I offer this as a thought provoking incident that initially appeared in the local MI forum. The OP lives right across the street from the person this story was written about. He always open carries in his neighborhood. His neighbor always conceal carries. He said the hoods give him wide berth. I know it's anecdotal, but still...

Quote:
A 17-year-old male was treated for a gunshot wound to the buttocks after being shot by a man he reportedly tried to rob Wednesday afternoon on the city’s south side, Lansing police said.

A 28-year-old man told police that the teenage suspect tried to rob him using a stun gun, Lansing Capt. Jim Kraus said. The older man, who was legally carrying a handgun, shot the suspect and called police, he said.

The incident happened about 4:40 p.m. in the area of Ballard Street and Reo Road. Police recovered a stun gun from the shooting victim, who is expected to recover from his injury, Kraus said.

The 28-year-old man was cooperating with police. Detectives on Friday were still waiting to interview the shooting victim, he said
source

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I only open carry in the woods. No sense in get a certain % of the general population all excited over nothing . Also don't to give any heads up to a bg. I rather just blend into a crowd. Only have 26 years of CC'n.

anecdotal here say , what would archy bunker have said > aaa jeeesss !!!! Carry how you wish.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I, like partduex, do both depending on the situation. I really could care less who gets irritated or upset about my choice to open carry, as Im not doing anything illegal. Just like my "piss on obama" sticker may upset or irritate some people but Im not taking it off my truck.

Ive never had anyone say or doing anything while Im oc'ing either.

Just my .02

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I never open carry, except maybe when I leave the range and I only live 1 mile from my local range. I think it's more a matter of not wanting to draw unwanted attention to myself, and these days people call the cops if they see someone sitting in their car, so carrying a gun open they will dam sure call, repeatedly. I just modified my shirt wardrobe so that I wear longer shirts to cover my holster.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #5

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I've CC'd for 17 years now and only OC'd while hunting, however, I did attend an OC Rally 2 months ago and openly carried my 4" Kimber for the first time in public.

It was really no big deal and I fully support anyone who chooses to OC... even the U Tube commando's... yeah, some of them are nuckle heads but overall I think they do a good job confronting 4A abuses and educating LEO's in the process.

That activity is not for me, due to my career I simply can't have half my local population seeing me as a gun nut but I have a lot of respect for these guys and the balls it takes to put themselves out there for the "certain" LEO confrontations ^^THIS^^ activity enduces.

Good Job OCer's!

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
MTHunter Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have no problem with OC. I do it when the lack of desire is present to make me hide it. I don't buy the you're a target or we need to pacify non gun people. Maybe if they seen some more holstered weapons they wouldn't get so bent. And I don't know about any of you but the last guy I wanna rob is a person with a gun on their hip.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

MTHunter Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I only open carry because I feel it is a much bigger deterrent for criminals if they can see that someone is carrying a gun. I have only had to draw once when I noticed 2 men grabbing a woman in an alley. Several very heated situations have calmed right down as soon as those involved noticed I had a gun on my hip.

I am not to worried about people calling the cops or getting riled up about me choosing to OC simply because I quit caring a long time ago what people think. If someone does not like how I choose to exercise my right to carry that is their problem and they can jump off a bridge for all I care.

Last edited by MTHunter; 06-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I feel the exact same as the last 3 times we've covered this OC vs CC thing

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Pasquanel Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #9

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I've been open carrying in for about a month now, in South Salt Lake. I work nights and pretty random shifts so on my days off I just get all my stuff done at night, groceries, walk the dog, the gym, all that good stuff. Even at 3am I've haven't received any grief from OCing around the city.

I probably would feel better about CCing but I don't have the funds for another/concealable pistol at the moment. I probably could conceal mine but it's just more comfortable to OC a full sized, I'm not a big dude either so it would make it even more of a pain to conceal it.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 06-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7814 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9830

I am watching this thread closely. We just recently closed a thread very, very similar to this because it got out of control. Please, stick to facts and keep it civil.

People Like This