Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Open carry laws Help !!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/open-carry-laws-help-52554/)

Seanbo123 11-27-2011 07:35 PM

Open carry laws Help !!!!

I do have a ccw and never open carry but for some reason i have been watching open carrying on youtube and when cops stop them the carriers always have unloaded guns. What happens if they are loaded
Cause im pretty sure if i had a weapon on me , concealed or open that it would be loaded

CA357 11-27-2011 07:48 PM

I have my CCW and I never open carry. Unless you live in a place where open carry is the norm it doesn't make sense to me. I think an open carried unloaded handgun is a really dumb idea.

Chainfire 11-27-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 637245)
I have my CCW and I never open carry. Unless you live in a place where open carry is the norm it doesn't make sense to me. I think an open carried unloaded handgun is a really dumb idea.

Agreed. Dumb idea. I had no idea until recently that some places allowed open carry only of unloaded pistols.

What is the point of carrying an unloaded firearm. Is it to impress the ladies?
To show everyone what a macho man you are? How about painting a target on yourself "hey, I have a gun....do you want it?" It would be like walking around with several hundred dollar bills hanging on your belt.

Someone explain it to me, cause I sure don't understand.

EagleSix 11-27-2011 08:47 PM

Seanbo,

It may be a law in a few states, or areas (cities) within a state. All of the states I have open carried, the gun is considered loaded, so there is no legal reason to carry it unloaded.

dragunovsks 11-27-2011 09:39 PM

Here in indiana i carry concealed most of the time, but i have gone into gas stations carrying open. If my weapon is empty its at home in the safe, whats the point if you dont have one in the pipe? If im grabbed by one arm in an attack i want to be able to draw, flip the safety off and empty some cases without having to try to rack one into the chamber. I have been pulled over by leos and informed them i was carrying a loaded weapon, never had any trouble from the local leos.

ninjatoth 11-27-2011 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=dragunovsks;637387]If im grabbed by one arm in an attack i want to be able to draw, flip the safety off and empty some cases without having to try to rack one into the chamber. QUOTE]

I think you would be a good spokesman for why a revolver might be better than an auto lol.

dragunovsks 11-28-2011 12:04 AM

Never really been much of a revolver guy, ill just stick with my auto for now

BlueTurf 11-28-2011 08:26 PM

I just have to ask, "Why carry an unloaded gun". If the gun is simply being transported why carry in on person? I carry a handgun now and then and when I do it is loaded and concealed. I choose to not share with others that I am packing a gun. If I am transporting an unloaded gun I always have it in a case for its protection.

Puff 11-29-2011 12:12 PM

You know some of those people might be the ones we see trying to "educate" public and their local police on the laws, get people use to seeing a holstered weapon and seeing how their local people handle the situation.
I wonder if those persons might have another concealed weapon on them
in fully operational mode. ??

hardluk1 11-29-2011 01:27 PM

California had a open but empty way of carry'n on the books but that will be gone soon, law change, no open carry. CCW means CONCEALED CARRY. If a handgun is empty its a rock and leave it at home and carry some thing you can throw beater than a handgun.