Open Carry Laws - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry Laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I highly doubt there is proof of this axxe55, but it is possible. But then again it possible the tree you park under one day decides to drop a branch and kill you, or you go to sleep and get swallowed by a sink hole and wake up half way to china. Anything is possible, but I doubt the percentage this happens is hardly worth this being a reason to not oc

Never enough guns or ammo
and as i posted before in the obvious other side of the debate, that the sight of someone OCing can deter a criminal act from occurring in the first place. but that is strictly an opinion, with no supporting data or information to confirm either.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
and as i posted before in the obvious other side of the debate, that the sight of someone OCing can deter a criminal act from occurring in the first place. but that is strictly an opinion, with no supporting data or information to confirm either.
Let me address this.
If you OC one of three things will happen when criminal decides to commit a crime:
1. As you related to it MAY deter him (OR THEM)
2. It will let him know whom he must first engage (take out) to complete his crime.
3. It commits you to become involve even if you don't want or need to.
There is no way to quantify this, BUT
IF you are CC you don't have to worry about any of the above as you have the option of deciding when and if you wish to intervene and most of all you have the element of SUPRISE on your side.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #43

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Let me address this.

If you OC one of three things will happen when criminal decides to commit a crime:

2. It will let him know whom he must first engage (take out) to complete his crime.

IF you are CC you don't have to worry about any of the above as you have the option of deciding when and if you wish to intervene and most of all you have the element of SUPRISE on your side.

+1

Never enough guns or ammo

Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Let me address this.
if you can't quantify it, then it's purely conjecture and opinions, either way.

Jim, you do a lot of grandstanding for the individuals gun rights and how wrong the all the gun laws are, it amazes me now you wish to seek to oppress the citizens right to open carry. shame on you sir.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #45

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Mahal

What you or I would do "if we were criminals" and saw an openly armed citizen is not really the point. Those of us who CC daily have the training and state of mind to do "what is necessary" to win a confrontation.

The criminal is NOT looking for a confrontation... He is looking for an easy target.

Try as I might... And I've spent considerable time looking... I can not find a single case of an OC citizen being targeted for their gun, or targeted first because of their gun.

The guy walking in to hold up the clerk is scared, sweating, shaking, and just praying he gets some cash without any fight. He's tunnel visioned on his objective and paying little attention to the hips of others present.

...and if he does see your gun, I'm pretty sure he chooses to pay for a candy bar and leave in search of a softer target.

He does not want a gun fight and he's not looking for a life sentence over the $120 in the till.

What you or I would do is irrelevant because you or I are prepared for a fight and would not be the instigators in the first place.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I don't know! How we carry is as opinionated as what we carry! I do know this, if I'm Mr bad guy, robbing a convenient store, bank or any other place of business, I'm taking "Mr Responsible citizens" that has a big 1911 strapped on his side for the world and me to see out first. Personally, I think CC holds more advantages or gives me a better chance to survive a threat than OC! To me, the element of surprise, far out weighs any advantages OC might have! OC Just puts a big bullseye on our backs! Why mark or flag priority targets for BG? Remember, similar to the way we train, they are going to take out obvious targets that poses the biggest threat to there agenda. Hunting, fishing and the 1805 Wild West is great for OC! But 2014 urban America? I'm not feeling it! Just my opinion!!

Like guns, love people!!
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I think it is because open carry is not common among civilians. There are many documented cases of human turds going after cops' handguns.
you mean in the middle of an arrest situation?

Show me one documented incident where a bad guy took a mere mortal OC citizens firearm.

A good friend of mine, not an internet "story" had an incident where where is OC shut down a potential issue just because of his OC.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if you can't quantify it, then it's purely conjecture and opinions, either way.

Jim, you do a lot of grandstanding for the individuals gun rights and how wrong the all the gun laws are, it amazes me now you wish to seek to oppress the citizens right to open carry. shame on you sir.
WRONG!!! I support the RIGHT to OC 100%. I believe it is the wrong way to proceed if your purpose is to defend yourself and others for the above stated reasons.
I prefer CC for safety and tactical reasons, not from a political point.
If you or anyone else wish to OC that is your RIGHT, but I have A LOT of experience on the street and I prefer to CC to increase my odds of survival if I find myself in a deadly force situation. I consider this common sense!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 AM   #48

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
I think it is because open carry is not common among civilians. There are many documented cases of human turds going after cops' handguns.
Sure... By two strike felons willing to kill to avoid arrest, By drunks at Maddi a Grass while the cop is occupied by other drunks...

...there are a myriad of situation LEO's MUST engage in while doing their jobs, any of which could lead to a grappling match and a struggle for the gun.

We citizens are under no obligation to arrest anyone, under no obligation to do as little damage as possible, convince one of use your a threat, and it won't be the Tulsa Two Step wrestling match.

Tack
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #49

Quote:
WRONG!!! I support the RIGHT to OC 100%. I believe it is the wrong way to proceed if your purpose is to defend yourself and others for the above stated reasons.
I prefer CC for safety and tactical reasons, not from a political point.
If you or anyone else wish to OC that is your RIGHT, but I have A LOT of experience on the street and I prefer to CC to increase my odds of survival if I find myself in a deadly force situation. I consider this common sense!
please show us proof that OCing is more likely to make a person a target if in such a situation. as has been discussed and argued over ad nauseam over and over, with not any credible proof or evidence to support such statements.

but please feel free to post any links to proof or facts that support such statements. you will be the third one on this thread i have issued that challenge to. i am still waiting.

Jim, i will even give you this for perusal. how about OCing preventing a criminal act from occuring in the first place because some slimebag saw someone carrying openly? sorry, but simply my opinion and have nothing to verify whether that is the case or not. but i can still make that same case as well as you and others make yours in the opposite direction for CC.

feel free to prove me wrong. common sense can also say a BG sees someone carrying and decides to go elsewhere where the target is much easier too.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:01 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Of course if you open carry in a holster with poor retention someone might try to grab your gun. People grab purses, cameras, computers, etc. Why wouldn't someone with nothing to lose try to grab your gun? I don't need to document that little nugget.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Closed Thread