Open Carry Laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry Laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7121 Times on 3897 Posts
Likes Given: 14416

Default Open Carry Laws

Source: http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/

Open Carrying of Handguns: Only six states, California, Florida, Illinois, New York, South Carolina, and Texas, as well as the District of Columbia, prohibit the open carrying of handguns in public places. Thirty-one states allow the open carrying of a handgun without any license or permit, although in some cases the gun must be unloaded. Thirteen states require some form of license or permit in order to openly carry a handgun.

Open Carrying of Long Guns: Six states, California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota and New Jersey, as well as the District of Columbia, generally ban the open carrying of long guns (rifles and shotguns). In the 44 remaining states, openly carrying a long gun is legal, although in three of these states, Iowa, Tennessee and Utah, the long gun must be unloaded.36 In addition, Virginia and Pennsylvania limit the ability to openly carry long guns in certain cities. In a majority of states, it is legal for an individual to openly carry a loaded firearm in public without a permit.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Liked 2502 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2409

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Source: http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/

Open Carrying of Handguns: Only six states, California, Florida, Illinois, New York, South Carolina, and Texas, as well as the District of Columbia, prohibit the open carrying of handguns in public places. Thirty-one states allow the open carrying of a handgun without any license or permit, although in some cases the gun must be unloaded. Thirteen states require some form of license or permit in order to openly carry a handgun.

Open Carrying of Long Guns: Six states, California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota and New Jersey, as well as the District of Columbia, generally ban the open carrying of long guns (rifles and shotguns). In the 44 remaining states, openly carrying a long gun is legal, although in three of these states, Iowa, Tennessee and Utah, the long gun must be unloaded.36 In addition, Virginia and Pennsylvania limit the ability to openly carry long guns in certain cities. In a majority of states, it is legal for an individual to openly carry a loaded firearm in public without a permit.
OMG. What are you doing throwing facts into this?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

And !! ?? Anything else

Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Any other states besides wisconsin with oc written into the state constitution??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1940 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 989

To those who live (mentally) in the 21st century, OC is all but useless. It's mostly a demo (like showing muscle in a "wife beater" shirt), or a fashion statement (I am John Wayne), or outright intimidation. As a civilian, CCW makes infinitely more sense. That said, OC in particular, and stupid behavior in general, are constitutional.

People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
To those who live (mentally) in the 21st century, OC is all but useless. It's mostly a demo (like showing muscle in a "wife beater" shirt), or a fashion statement (I am John Wayne), or outright intimidation. As a civilian, CCW makes infinitely more sense. That said, OC in particular, and stupid behavior in general, are constitutional.
I don't think oc is stupid. I love having oc here as I can holster up a full size m9 or 1911 or my fnx45 toss a shirt tail over it and if it peeks out or prints no big deal. Being restricted solely to micro guns so your right to self protection isnt offending anyone is what makes no sense.

Strapping on a molle carrier with a rifle and a handgun on a chest rig is tacky its no different than inner city yoots wearing their pants around the ankles so you can count the hairs on their unwashed butts... you can do it but its tacky.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I don't think oc is stupid. I love having oc here as I can holster up a full size m9 or 1911 or my fnx45 toss a shirt tail over it and if it peeks out or prints no big deal. Being restricted solely to micro guns so your right to self protection isnt offending anyone is what makes no sense.

Strapping on a molle carrier with a rifle and a handgun on a chest rig is tacky its no different than inner city yoots wearing their pants around the ankles so you can count the hairs on their unwashed butts... you can do it but its tacky.
John to keep it shirt, I would stick to CCW just to keep OC unavailable to those yoots.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 279 Posts

Nothing wrong with OC. Some people cannot CC because of past history. DUI or any assault charge. If it is legal to carry it is legal to carry. I am pretty sure the people who cannot get a CCL would love to have one but it isn't an option. I personally don't think people should go around with ARs strapped to their backs strutting around town or the local Walmart but a side arm I have no problem with.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
Nothing wrong with OC. Some people cannot CC because of past history. DUI or any assault charge.
Please put on a smiley so I know you're joking.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Please put on a smiley so I know you're joking.
Oh you're that guy. 😘