open carry in indiana

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > open carry in indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default open carry in indiana

I have a gun permit in indiana (the pink one), it doesn't specifically say "concealed", and www.uscarry.com says indiana residents can open carry with a recognized permit. Is this the permit they are referring to?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

yes...... you can open carry in Indiana with a License to Carry a Handgun. The Indiana code does not mention/prohibit it, so it is legal.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Thanx man, that was a quick reply.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #4

Default Indiana Open Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
yes...... you can open carry in Indiana with a License to Carry a Handgun. The Indiana code does not mention/prohibit it, so it is legal.
Their is a "However" here...When the cops respond to the "man with a gun call", you WILL be put on the ground, cuffed, and questioned before you are released to go on your merry way.

IJ70-18A Makarov (9x18) You have to pull the trigger in Russian, or it won't fire!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Jay

Quote:
you WILL be put on the ground, cuffed, and questioned before you are released to go on your merry way.
It's a distinct possibility, but not always. Carrying legally for over 40 years, I've seen it go both ways. The choice to open carry is, obviously a choice. How you conduct yourself when/if the police arrive, goes a long way towards how they will act. I've had this discussion with local, county, and state officers over the years. See how the officers in your area feel about it.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 04-22-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #6

Excellent response Jay...GO NAVY!!!

IJ70-18A Makarov (9x18) You have to pull the trigger in Russian, or it won't fire!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Jay

If you have prior, or current military service, thanks for serving. If you have no military service, then don't presume to banter inter-service rivalries about with those who have....... you don't rate it.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you have prior, or current military service, thanks for serving. If you have no military service, then don't presume to banter inter-service rivalries about with those who have....... you don't rate it.
Why to additude?
I appreciate all any have done.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Indiana Carry Permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I have a gun permit in indiana (the pink one), it doesn't specifically say "concealed", and www.uscarry.com says indiana residents can open carry with a recognized permit. Is this the permit they are referring to?
drag, there are two handgun permits in Indiana; Personal Protection, and Target Permit. The Personal Protection is good for any carry, subject to the local/federal limitations. The Target Permit is good for transportation to and from the target range-unloaded and cased of course. I personally do not open carry on the street. To me it kind of reeks of a Bad-A@@ attitude to the public. I would rather be known as Silent but Deadly, than Open and Hassled. In the woods, and some fishing holes, are the only places that you will see me observing Open Carry.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #10

Indiana makes no distinction between open and concealed carry, if you have a carry licence, it's your choice.

Personally, though, I feel like if you're open-carrying around town you might as well be wearing a sandwich board that reads, "Criminals Shoot Me First!"

BTW, don't you love how those things come? Printed on a pink piece of paper; you have to cut it out and laminate it yourself...they could at least spring for card stock with how much it costs you to get one...