Open Carry incident in Philadelphia, PA - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry incident in Philadelphia, PA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

I have lived in Philly...was born and raised there. Philly is a tough town and the cops there have a thankless job and frequently die doing it. Now lets suppose you are on duty and see a guy walking down the street with a gun on his hip...what would YOU do. Was he carrying legally...yes. Do you need a CCW to open carry in Philly...yes. Did the cop know if he had one...no Do criminals have the balls to walk down the street with a gun in their hand in Philly...yes. Would said criminal shoot a cop on sight...yes. So now what would you do?

Now, the cop overreacted and used coarse language...big deal! In the end Fiorino was not shot, not arrested, not charged with anything nor was he a victim of brutality...he was sent on his merry way...with his gun!

Moral of this story is...if you're gonna play in the big leagues and put a gun on your hip to provoke a reaction from one of the most notorious police forces in the nation...in one of the most gun crime ridden cities run by an anti-gun Mayor and Chief of Police...be prepared for a little pain.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 05-19-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyle View Post
i have lived in philly...was born and raised there. Philly is a tough town and the cops there have a thankless job and frequently die doing it. Now lets suppose you are on duty and see a guy walking down the street with a gun on his hip...what would you do. Was he carrying legally...yes. Do you need a ccw to open carry in philly...yes. Did the cop know if he had one...no do criminals have the balls to walk down the street with a gun in their hand in philly...yes. Would said criminal shoot a cop on sight...yes. So now what would you do?

Now, the cop overreacted and used coarse language...big deal! In the end fiorino was not shot, not arrested, not charged with anything nor was he a victim of brutality...he was sent on his merry way...with his gun!

Moral of this story is...if you're gonna play in the big leagues and put a gun on your hip to provoke a reaction from one of the most notorious police forces in the nation...in one of the most gun crime ridden cities run by an anti-gun mayor and chief of police...be prepared for a little pain.
amen brother. If he wasnt looking to start something im a freaking princess.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Are you really a princess? Can I ride your unicorn?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I have lived in Philly...was born and raised there. Philly is a tough town and the cops there have a thankless job and frequently die doing it. Now lets suppose you are on duty and see a guy walking down the street with a gun on his hip...what would YOU do. Was he carrying legally...yes. Do you need a CCW to open carry in Philly...yes. Did the cop know if he had one...no Do criminals have the balls to walk down the street with a gun in their hand in Philly...yes. Would said criminal shoot a cop on sight...yes. So now what would you do?

Now, the cop overreacted and used coarse language...big deal! In the end Fiorino was not shot, not arrested, not charged with anything nor was he a victim of brutality...he was sent on his merry way...with his gun!

Moral of this story is...if you're gonna play in the big leagues and put a gun on your hip to provoke a reaction from one of the most notorious police forces in the nation...in one of the most gun crime ridden cities run by an anti-gun Mayor and Chief of Police...be prepared for a little pain.
Amen.

If the guy had a CCW this whole incident would've been avoided if he'd been carrying CONCEALED in the first place. I don't know why anyone would want to carry openly in a city like Philadelphia, it isn't exactly known to be the most gun friendly city in these United States.

I am a LEO and don't carry openly unless I'm in uniform. Why advertise the fact that you're armed, yes I know all about the ways to indicate somebody is carrying, but 85% +/- of the population don't.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another question...we don't know what may have happened before the recorder was turned on. Maybe he waited until he had the cop good and pissed to push record?

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I am gonna have to go against the cops on this one. Being a young man (between 18-25) I have yet to have a police officer treat me any better than a second class citizen. These cops pointed the gun at the individual when he represented no threat to anybody. the person in question was carrying legally in every way regarding the law. He informed the officers of that, and they wouldn't hear anything from this guy (MoFo this, EFFin that). These officers did not act accordingly, and treated this guy like total crap. Now, was this guy looking for a confrontation? Very possibly, I wouldn't dare say he wasn't. But if you're going to tell me these cops didn't act like total a$$holes, I am going to have to whole-heartedly disagree. And don't forget that the cops didn't even know the correct law, and it was later admitted by the police dept. that they were in the wrong. In conclusion, I am not defending the guy that got arrested, but I am more upset with how the officers conducted themselves.

Good points panda, still I expect this guy was trolling looking for that one event that would get him his 15 minutes and a law suit. We will never know how many times he did this with no reaction are a better reaction from LEO's. No way to know but IMHO this is the expection not the rule. Again does truly nothing to help the cause.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

...or it's possible that the guy is an activist, looking to educate and make LEO's aware of our legal right to open carry by peaceful, lawful demonstration of that right. The laws are already on the books, the officers weren't aware, or didn't care to make themselves aware of the law.
Right or wrong, now they know. One good lawsuit or a bad publicity case for the Philly PD and I'm sure all of the officers will be made aware of the legalities of harassing people OC'ing

Whether you believe the guy is right or wrong with his methods, or agree or disagree with the right to carry, open or otherwise, the fact remains that he was acting entirely within the laws of our state.
Luckily for the carrier (and a few of the LEO's on scene), it's also not illegal to be an a$$hole

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #18

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I also think it was a spotlight issue and he got way more than his 15 min. If everyone treated each other with respect, a lot of this would never happen. But today some people seem too eager to voice their opinion and damn the consequences, that things like this happen too often. As for the LEO's not knowing that open carry is legal, think about all that you learned in school and now can't remember.
All in all when you make the decision to carry a weapon, with it comes great responsibility that needs to be at the forefront of your mind. Common sense is your best friend as it is easier to get out of jail then out of the morgue.
I am not a fan of open carry other than at the workplace, if I was a BG the first one I would take out would be the guy who does open carry. So at my shop yes I open carry every where else concealed.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Guys like this, ones who want to prove a point, make it rough on other legal gun owners who have common sense. This guy's a moron. You don't carry a gun openly displayed in any large city because it will offend or excite some liberal loony. He should have all of his guns confiscated and his forehead should be branded with the letter "S" for stupid.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #20

Liked 2698 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 2596

My God you people should listen to yourselves. You sound like a bunch of scared sheep. "He could offend somebody" Big f@cking deal let them be offended. I'm offended by the libs trying to deny me my rights and beliefs.

I'm not doing the quote thing but someone even asked if it was worth dying to prove your point/for your rights. Hell yes it is, the cemetaries are full of men and women who died defending their rights.

The founding fathers all believed it was worth proving with their lives. Some of you guys better man up before it's to late. You seem to be falling for the lib line of don't offend anyone. Aren't you all offended by what they are doing to this country? You should be.