Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open carry clothes in Winter months

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default Open carry clothes in Winter months

I don't see an open carry category but my question is related to carrying a weapon.

Do those of you who open carry find it more difficult during Winter months due to wearing heavier clothing?

If you don't have a short coat, how would you open carry?

Concealed Carry would be the opposite problem during the Summer months but a big baggy T-shirt can fix that problem.

Today (Nov 16, 2013) is Open Carry Day in New Castle, Va. I'm sure I will learn a lot about this subject but thought I'd ask on this forum.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1672 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

I don't look for ways to carry outside a heavy coat. I do open carry most of the time. I use a paddle holster (Safariland ALS). In winter I wear a coat that covers the gun. I wear the coat unzipped any place that would make me nervous. I know that the coat cover can make me a concealed carrier. But in Oklahoma our permit allows both. When I take the coat off, or reach back for my wallet, the gun is exposed. So, in cold weather I guess I actually carry both ways.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Liked 1960 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I don't look for ways to carry outside a heavy coat. I do open carry most of the time. I use a paddle holster (Safariland ALS). In winter I wear a coat that covers the gun. I wear the coat unzipped any place that would make me nervous. I know that the coat cover can make me a concealed carrier. But in Oklahoma our permit allows both. When I take the coat off, or reach back for my wallet, the gun is exposed. So, in cold weather I guess I actually carry both ways.
The problem comes in though in some states that allow open carry without a permit, but only allow concealed carry with a permit. What you describe would be illegal for a non-permit holder in some states. So, for the OP it would be best to know your states laws.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

True. I suppose you could get a drop leg holster that would expose the gun below the coat. Or maybe a dedicated gun belt you can wear over your coat.

Have to check the actual wording of the law. Does it require the entire outline to be visible?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

My permit allows CC, but OC is legal here also. Normally I OC and sometimes it gets partially covered by a jacket or coat, so I dont worry about it. Here. But even tho the State says OC is legal, alot of other towns arent accepting that and have thier own ordinances not allowing it. So instead of going thru the hassles, I generally CC outside of the town I live in. I realize that that does not work for some. But what does apply, is that a person must dress accordingly. Be it a short coat so as not to conceal, or avoiding short or tucked in shirts while trying to conceal. Every person must find what works for them.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I carry my 44 magnum in a chest holster when I think I really will be needing it. If I had 2 44's you could call me Dolly!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 11479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
you could call me Dolly!
And you can call me Al.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I carry my 44 magnum in a chest holster when I think I really will be needing it. If I had 2 44's you could call me Dolly!
If you were Dolly's size, you'd have plenty of room to CC those 44 magnums!

Balota

Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
If you were Dolly's size, you'd have plenty of room to CC those 44 magnums!
She doesn't!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
The problem comes in though in some states that allow open carry without a permit, but only allow concealed carry with a permit. What you describe would be illegal for a non-permit holder in some states. So, for the OP it would be best to know your states laws.
This is the concern I would have. If I recall the laws says that 40% of the gun must be exposed. With a coat that hangs below your belt-line even if open would be considered Concealed Carry.

I was just curious what some might suggest.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!