Open carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Born in Arkansas, raised in Arizona, retired from the military, lived in Alaska for a short miserable time and then to SE Oklahoma, which has been my primary AO for the past 20 years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN
Born in Arkansas, raised in Arizona, retired from the military, lived in Alaska for a short miserable time and then to SE Oklahoma, which has been my primary AO for the past 20 years.
Ahh you live down there in the woods! That's really pretty country down there. HUGE deer!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #23

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Personally, I think open carry in a populated area is a bad idea on more than one level.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think open carry has its pluses and negatives, like someone said before some people just want the attention. On the other hand it is deffinately a deterrent, it's gonna make anyone think twice before trying something around you.

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #25

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18 View Post
I think open carry has its pluses and negatives, like someone said before some people just want the attention. On the other hand it is deffinately a deterrent, it's gonna make anyone think twice before trying something around you.
That, or it will just make you the first person they shoot.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #26

Here in Georgia there are quite a number of 'open' carriers. GeorgiaPacking.org is home to more than a few of them. Is open carry for everyone? No. But then, driving a car is not for everyone, heck, there are some people in this world that should not be allowed to chew gum and walk at the same time for that matter. The mindset for the open carriers here in Georgia is that it is legal (With a Georgia Weapons License) and therefore should not be as problem for anyone to deal with. For the most part that is exactly what happens if the posts in the forums are to be believed. Guy walks around with a gun on his hip and no one cares. In the few cases where there is a problem, the guy, or gal, with a gun tells the concerned person or persons that it is legal, cites the relevant laws and goes on about his or her business.
Now admittedly there are times this does not solve the problem and then it can be either a minor hassle or a major legal problem, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. If anyone wants to know what life would be like if open carry is allowed they should visit the websites for states where open carry is legal. It is much like concealed carry, a non issue for the majority of people. No blood in the streets, no gun fights every other hour in the town square.
Seriously, research open carry and make your mind up on it based on facts rather than feelings. Even if it is not right for you, the guy next door might find it is just his cup of tea.

Face the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.
Proud NRA member
It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you!!! And the anti-gun zealots are hell bent on disarming every one of us!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I understand in principal what Arizona Lawman is saying. I also live in Arizona but I can never recall a case where an open carrier was targeted by a criminal. Prior to the passage of our ccw law open carry was quite prevalent amongst shop keepers and even taxi drivers. Open carry has never been a real problem in Arizona.
I do chose however to ccw.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #28

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Open carry has appropriate and inappropriate times.

Appropriate -

Hunting
Fishing
Anytime on own property
Shooting ranges
Law enforcement
military

Inappropriate -

Anywhere public that Democrats are liable to see your scary gun- mall, restaurant, park, gas station ... etc

Open carry has little tactical advantage for civilians. A gun on your hip makes you a blatant target in dangerous situations.

Many open carry activists are ego maniacs with an acute case of LOOK-AT-ME syndrome. They want to be noticed, they want to terrorize and antagonize the anti crowd. They are harmful to honest gun owners.
Echo that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #29

Default Well said "willfully armed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Open carry has appropriate and inappropriate times.

Appropriate -

Hunting
Fishing
Anytime on own property
Shooting ranges
Law enforcement
military

Inappropriate -

Anywhere public that Democrats are liable to see your scary gun- mall, restaurant, park, gas station ... etc

Open carry has little tactical advantage for civilians. A gun on your hip makes you a blatant target in dangerous situations.

Many open carry activists are ego maniacs with an acute case of LOOK-AT-ME syndrome. They want to be noticed, they want to terrorize and antagonize the anti crowd. They are harmful to honest gun owners.
Well said!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #30

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just bring it as it should be brought

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?