Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Open carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/open-carry-51761/)

Gunhand 11-14-2011 03:26 AM

Open carry

I think it would be good to have open carry it would probably cut down on alot of crime it hasn't passed yet but think it will next year in Oklahoma

Alpha1Victor 11-14-2011 03:33 AM

I prefer the element of surprise.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

UrbanNinja 11-14-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor
I prefer the element of surprise.

Agreed, also with open carry I always have the thought of a BG just walking up behind and grabbing for it (I dont use a thumb break).

Alpha1Victor 11-14-2011 03:42 AM

I have seen a few open carry parties take it way overboard also. They try and dress tacticool and like a police officer. I think that in itself is an issue.

willfully armed 11-14-2011 04:13 AM

Open carry has appropriate and inappropriate times.

Appropriate -

Hunting
Fishing
Anytime on own property
Shooting ranges
Law enforcement
military

Inappropriate -

Anywhere public that Democrats are liable to see your scary gun- mall, restaurant, park, gas station ... etc

Open carry has little tactical advantage for civilians. A gun on your hip makes you a blatant target in dangerous situations.

Many open carry activists are ego maniacs with an acute case of LOOK-AT-ME syndrome. They want to be noticed, they want to terrorize and antagonize the anti crowd. They are harmful to honest gun owners.

winds-of-change 11-14-2011 04:15 AM

If I did carry, it would NEVER be open carry. For several reasons............

ArizonaLawman 11-14-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 627184)
Open carry has appropriate and inappropriate times.

Appropriate -

Hunting
Fishing
Anytime on own property
Shooting ranges
Law enforcement
military

Inappropriate -

Anywhere public that Democrats are liable to see your scary gun- mall, restaurant, park, gas station ... etc

Open carry has little (AZL SAY NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE) tactical advantage for civilians. A gun on your hip makes you a blatant target in dangerous situations.

Many open carry activists are ego maniacs with an acute case of LOOK-AT-ME syndrome. They want to be noticed, they want to terrorize and antagonize the anti crowd. They are harmful to honest gun owners

Let us save time and assume I am right....man above speak TRUTH.

Open carry....99.87676458726582364587432658273465082734 65087324568273% of the time is like chicken**** on a pump handle....useless as a crime deterrent. If I could find the LONG discourse on this very subject I wrote I'd quote it here.

ArizonaLawman 11-14-2011 02:45 PM

I think OC in metropolitan areas is silly. Kind of like going into an ethnic neighborhood with slogans that insult that ethnicity. Sure, you have (or SHOULD HAVE) the RIGHT to do it...but is it really smart to do it?

Concealed carry is a FANTASTIC advantage no matter where you are. Number one...it keeps the "stinky eye off YOU" and not from LE...but from everyone else, who's OPINION doesn't matter, but do you want someone with less than honest intent making YOU the first target to shoot? That round may come from behind from HIS concealed handgun you knew nothing about because it was concealed and you get shot from ambush...before you have the chance to react.

Take a banking institution for example. You are inside making your deposit or whatever and you are carrying open. A pair of armed robbers enters the bank, sees YOUR conspicuously displayed pistol, and before they even announce their intent they blow you to hell. Trust me, they aren't going to freeze in their tracks because you're carrying a gee-whizz tacticool 1911 or whatever. They aren't going to flee in fright because you are packin' a roscoe. The chances are very good that since they are already in for a penny, they might as well be in for a pound, and smoke you on the spot, then yell..."THIS IS A ROBBERY!". You have just been made an example of what not to do.

HOWEVER...if you're carrying concealed...you aren't THE GUY THEY SHOOT FIRST. Things may go smoothly if everyone listens, no one tries to be a hero, and by golly YOU are still ALIVE. They get their money, and de-ass the area. BUT...if things go badly, and they panic and start shooting people; you are still armed and may just have that one chance in a zillion to save your butt because YOUR roscoe was concealed.

Even when I was a detective and working plain clothes...my gun, badge, and cuffs were not visible. No one knew I was a cop until I identified myself, or was working a crime scene and had my badge out of my pocket and clipped to my belt. I never wore the silly OAKLEYS with POLICE emblazoned on the temples or the key lanyard with POLICE on the side around my neck with a PD ID on it. Why let some scumbag know who I was and give them an advantage?

You can bet if I was in that bank, I would be "Mr Compliant" until I had to act, and then and only then would anyone know I was armed. It's not cowardice or being chicken****...it's just sound tactical thinking. I'd a whole lot rather smoke a bad guy when I had all the advantage I could muster.

If the scumbags were armed with AK's, AR's, shotguns...what advantage does my pistol really give me? NONE if they know I have it. If they don't know...then that moment MAY arrive when I can take them out without getting my own silly ass or some other person's ass dead. Do I have the right to foolishly risk your grandma's life? Do I have the right to risk yours? Even if they miss me with that ambush shot...that bullet could, and may very well hit your wife, or mom, or whomever. Trust me, the scumbags aren't all that concerned with a safe back stop.

You never want to make yourself the obvious first target. Personally...I like being "Mr Gray". I don't want to be the one who is sticking out like a dildo at Disney Land. I'd rather be just another faceless guy in a crowd until I have to be otherwise. Then surprise surprise...I just RUIN'T YER DAY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Above is what I posted ever so eloquently in another thread....

RairWeatherSmok 11-15-2011 02:23 PM

Under the CHL laws in Texas if you accidentally expose your weapon, then you can be charged with brandishing. An open carry law would negate that.

I have no use for going cowboy.

IGETEVEN 11-15-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RairWeatherSmok (Post 628254)
Under the CHL laws in Texas if you accidentally expose your weapon, then you can be charged with brandishing. An open carry law would negate that.

I have no use for going cowboy.

Same here in Oklahoma. :(

IMO, I think we should have the option to do either here, conceal or open carry, although, I would always still choose to conceal.

The wind blows here daily here for free and strongly, and if a OWB holster/shoulder rig carried gun, covered by a jacket or shirt is exposed for a moment, because a jacket or shirt is blown up or aside by wind and accidentally exposes it, one should be covered legally, either way. :cool: