Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Here in Minnesota you need a permit to carry. Once you have the permit (as I do) it is a "Carry Permit" not Concealed Carry. You can carry in plain sight, but you are expected to conceal whenever possible. I have several police officer friends and they have all told me that when they get a call that some guy has a gun on his hip they automatically assume you're a bad guy and will take you down at gunpoint until proven otherwise. It isn't worth it to flash a piece in public.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default OPEN CARRRY? Why would you?

Hello GUNGUY/ALL

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Where in WV, we have a true consealed carry law, once you get that, you carry consealed, YOU HAVE TO! The state has an old law that allows one to carry in the open , unloaded? I just never have understood the worth in that? As you said, in kost cases, folks see someone with a GUN holstered or not, they call the Law, In comes a bunch of nervious officers and someone gets hurt?

The other side of the coin is that a weapon consealed is there, for your knowledge and use, a weapon in the open , is there for all to see, those who will want to confront you, thjose who will fear you and pannic and the Cops that will come to talk to you? Thier simply is NO UP Side to OPEN carry, In my Opinion? Those that have, it's usually a discussion point after, as thiers always a a story to follow?

Many states and Cities have outlawed the legal open carry, as it has nothing but trouble attatched to it's use, other Businesses have banned Open as well as Consealed carry, those Types of Business DO NOT GEY MY MONEY! Places like BLOCKBUSTER Movie Stores with an open, stated Policy of No weapons CCW or not in thier stores are such one! I made it a point to lkeave my gun in the van, go in and apply, after filling out the application, I asked to see the manager and ask him about Company Policy about NO weapons even CCW, once he stated that YES, that was still thier Policy I told Him, let me have that Application back and Tore it up in front of him and walked out! I told him, Untill your company recognizes my Right to legally carry consealed, I'll not do business with your place!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #13

Default Open carry

I open carry 95% of the time with very little problems. Curious people usually ask me if I am a bounty hunter, Texas ranger, or Marshall. I usually reply no, my wife thinks it's sexy on me. For 2 years in Virginia I open carried with no problems. I live in Georgia. I have a Georgia License, a non resident Virginia, and a Non resident Utah permit. During the summer carrying a 45 Ruger concealed is uncomfortable. I have prevented several robberies etc. I have many good stories. No bad ones.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #14

There are a lot of uninformed people on open carry. In many places, you won't get a second glance. It's just not a big deal. In the "Less free" states and cities it might be, even if legal, but not in places like KY, CO, NV, WY, VA, and others.

I'm sure it would be frowned upon in LA, NYC, Chicago, and others. Someone in the thread mentioned those places. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly, since it's ILLEGAL.

See the map here:
http://opencarry.org/

For open carry states. The number might surprise you. Only 6 states don't allow open carry. I usually CC but when I don't, it doesn't draw undue notice. It's usually kind of hard to miss, too. Usually it's a 4" .357 or a Springer 1911. The only comments I've received were on the guns or the leather.

Edit: Ron, no stories here. In fact, nothing even worth mentioning. The UP side for me is comfort. It gets HOT in KY during the summer and, besides a PA63, I only own full size guns. I just can't get used to those "itty-bitty" things. Most of the time, I use a t-shirt and cover shirt. If it shows, I don't give a rats patootie. It's still legal here in the Bluegrass.

Last edited by teknoid; 04-01-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Open carry is legal here in Michigan also, but most people don't recommend it in urban areas. The nice thing about it, is I don't worry if I print or not. Or, if wearing a loose shirt over a T-shirt, it don't matter if the wind blows it open.

What I've noticed over time, most people either don't notice, or don't care. I think most who notice, think I'm a cop/PI/someone authorized to carry.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 05-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #16

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

What about open carry in Indiana? I have a permit to carry but a sheriffs deputy told me to conceal it cause they don't like to respond to a call only to find out your legal.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #17

Yes, if you have an unlimited license to carry a handgun in our state then open carry is legal.

Exceptions are government buildings, schools, airports, etc: check the rules before risking a felony or worse.

Your sheriff's deputy is giving you sound advice. While it may be legal to openly carry, why attract attention?

Further, someone might misconstrue your intentions and phone in one of those "man with a gun" calls to 9-1-1. Bad times

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

for thoughs of you who have not seen this video go to you tube and type in dan sayers. this fellow was open carrying in northwest ohio it is completly legal to do so in ohio as a matter of fact they tryed to use it aginst us when they were trying to get the chl law passed. I think that open carry can be a good thing and it is good for people to educate others on the laws of their own state. I hate to hear people are afraid of guns and then asked why that dont know they just are. if we had more people who open carried then maybe some of the negative publicity that guns get from the media could be turned around a little bit. just my two cents there Anthony

Old 05-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #19

That is a loaded question depends on each and every states laws it is extremely hard to answer with a one word answer

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&k bigdaddydieseldan View Post
That is a loaded question depends on each and every states laws it is extremely hard to answer with a one word answer
Um, what question?

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"