Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Open Carry

Can you still open carry in any States as a private citizen?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Yes in several states you can. Some states that require a permit to CCW, don't require a permit for open carry.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #3

It's OK here in VA. Now in NoVA or Richmond or Hampton Rhodes, you might get a reaction from folks - but it's legal.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Open carry?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While still legal here in WV, it's a double edged sword? Many places will not Jail you over it, It's an attention getter and usually not a positive reaction! Folks have just gotten too tame and Freak out whjen they see a gun? With open carry, it has to be visable and folks will see it and react! Most of the Positive aspects of going armed are lost in open carry! If someone commits a crime and see's your open carry, they might see you as a threat or a cop and shoot you? Concealed carry, while a bit harder to do in many places is a lot safer and will not cause you the reaction open carry will do?

In the end, it's your choise, I have found concealed carry, safer, More suited to my No Trouble Life and I've seen Open carry end in Arrest or Folks running out of a Busniess when the fellow walked in with a revolver on his hip! Your choise?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #5

Perfectly legal in KY. Larger cities frown on it though (I've heard).

Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Honestly my thoughts on open carry are that as long as you are fairly clean cut most people just think your an LEO, and go about their day. Now mind you I am not saying that you should pretend to be one (unless you like sore wrists). If your wearing a Slayer shirt with your arms/neck covered in tats, and a pierced septum then people may react poorly upon seeing the gun on your hip.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Honestly my thoughts on open carry are that as long as you are fairly clean cut most people just think your an LEO, and go about their day. Now mind you I am not saying that you should pretend to be one (unless you like sore wrists). If your wearing a Slayer shirt with your arms/neck covered in tats, and a pierced septum then people may react poorly upon seeing the gun on your hip.
I think that open carry might open the door for some problems, including, some person thinking that you are a threat and take preemptive action. If you were to walk into a "7/11" store, you might get a baseball bat upside of the head by a clerk!

I agree that concealed is better and, will cause less headache in the long run.

MarMac

Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I think that open carry might open the door for some problems, including, some person thinking that you are a threat and take preemptive action. If you were to walk into a "7/11" store, you might get a baseball bat upside of the head by a clerk!

I agree that concealed is better and, will cause less headache in the long run.

MarMac
While I favor concealed to open carry a holstered gun will not have the effect on your local "Quick E Mart" clerk I think most fear. If your carrying on your hip in open fashion most are going to assume your legit. However if you do decide to open carry I would recomend training in weapon retention.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
While I favor concealed to open carry a holstered gun will not have the effect on your local "Quick E Mart" clerk I think most fear. If your carrying on your hip in open fashion most are going to assume your legit. However if you do decide to open carry I would recomend training in weapon retention.

I will agree that most might assume a person who carries a gun as being legit, but the ignorance of guns and even the fear that has been spread by those who portray the gun as being inherently "evil" might cause some problems with those that are ignorant. It is really amazing at the ignorance of the average person concerning guns. Especially for "city folk"!

I also think it would surprise you if you walked in with a holstered revolver and there was a police officer standing there!! I don't think he would think that you were "legit"! If it were LA, New York, or Chicago, I can guarantee that you would be answering some questions!

MarMac

Last edited by marmac; 05-23-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #10

After purchasing my 1st handgun recently I wondered about open carry as well. I live in Las Vegas, NV and I frequently carried my XD9 on my hip when out running errands including into my local branch of Wells Fargo bank. Never had any problems but I was often stopped by people and asked if it is legal to carry open. Your are very correct in your statement that so many people are unaware of what the laws are regarding an individuals right to carry or even own a firearm are. I was one of those people until I became an NRA member and started reading "America's 1st Freedom" This prompted me to start researching what the local laws are regarding our 2nd ammendment rights. I encourage others to research and to understand these laws. Now... i have my CCW and rarely carry open for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.