Open Carry - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #61
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2525 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 2615

Agreed on both points. SL for retention when needed. XDm scabbard is smaller and more comfortable. I generally just leave the SL on all day and at home. It isn't that uncomfortable to me.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 06-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #62

Liked 1435 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1050

To the OP, a good holster is important. Fit is critical for safety, comfort and operation. Put some effort and money into finding just the right one. Some guys will spend a thousand bucks on a handgun and put it in a $20 holster. The best holsters I've ever owned were leather and custom-fitted to the handgun.

I wore a Bianchi leather shoulder holster almost every day for 20 years and hardly gave it a thought.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #63

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
To the OP, a good holster is important. Fit is critical for safety, comfort and operation. Put some effort and money into finding just the right one. Some guys will spend a thousand bucks on a handgun and put it in a $20 holster. The best holsters I've ever owned were leather and custom-fitted to the handgun.

I wore a Bianchi leather shoulder holster almost every day for 20 years and hardly gave it a thought.
You dress and live a lifestyle that makes the shoulder holster practical. Most people don't wear a coat 365 days a year. The shoulder holster would beat you to death in my world in two hours.

There are a lot of times the most comfortable OWB rig you can buy ends up on the seat of the truck or in a tool box. When it is near 100 degrees out and you have a tractor spraying hot hydraulic fluid all over you very few holsters are comfortable. Digging a post hole would be a nightmare with a shoulder rig.

I am not the only one that carries a gun all the time that one holster cannot meet all their needs year round. Most of the plain clothes officers in this area wear a shoulder holster until it gets really hot. Once the temps are in the 90s for a few weeks they ditch the shoulder holster for a paddle holster or a IWB holster.

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #64

Liked 1435 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You dress and live a lifestyle that makes the shoulder holster practical. Most people don't wear a coat 365 days a year. The shoulder holster would beat you to death in my world in two hours.

JD, not suggesting the OP wear a shoulder-rig. I just used that as an example. I probably have 3 or 4 different holsters for each handgun to use for different applications. My point was the importance of getting holsters that fit well and serve your needs.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2092 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

I have BOXS of holsters I have tried over the years. The ONLY way to see if it will work for you is to try it YOURSELF! I do have different holster/gun combinations for changes in the carry 'environment'. I see it as a woman sees 'jewelry', I wear what is appropriate for the occasion.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #66

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Definitely conceal carry. Open carry presumes way too much on the intelligence of most people. There are a lot of stupid and ignorant people out there who don't mix well with open carry. Conceal and keep it private.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #67

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I have BOXS of holsters I have tried over the years. The ONLY way to see if it will work for you is to try it YOURSELF! I do have different holster/gun combinations for changes in the carry 'environment'. I see it as a woman sees 'jewelry', I wear what is appropriate for the occasion.
Like many here, I have a full box of holsters to fit the one handgun I still have. Several do see use, just depends on the situation, eg: city, hunting, hiking, home (rural/wooded), etc. I have had several pistols (includung revolvers and semi autos) come and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_see View Post
Definitely conceal carry. Open carry presumes way too much on the intelligence of most people. There are a lot of stupid and ignorant people out there who don't mix well with open carry. Conceal and keep it private.

Reread op's post, it is not legal for him to cc, but it is to oc.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #68

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My bad.