Open Carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Open Carry

I am 18, I love 1911's and I want to open carry. I'm not going to treat this like it isn't a big deal because I know and understand it is. I will take classes before any kind of firearm leaves strapped to my side. I wanted to get some opinions on "Yes open carry" or "No open carry" and why or why not.

This isn't so I can "look cooler" this is strictly for self defense. If you feel there is a better way for self defense I'll be more then happy to hear any ideas.

Thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Open Carry

I am 18, I love 1911's and I want to open carry. I'm not going to treat this like it isn't a big deal because I know and understand it is. I will take classes before any kind of firearm leaves strapped to my side. I wanted to get some opinions on "Yes open carry" or "No open carry" and why or why not.

This isn't so I can "look cooler" this is strictly for self defense. If you feel there is a better way for self defense I'll be more then happy to hear any ideas.

Thank you!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_guy View Post

Thank you!
first of all, welcome to the forum!

stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

first things first, i don't know what state you are in, but check out the legalities of open carry and the minimum age that is legal for open carry. these laws will and can vary from state to state.

now BATF regulations say you can purchase a long gun at 18, but you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL dealer. now state laws vary on whether you can purchase in a private sale or be gifted a pistol from a family member or such and whether you can legally be in possession of a pistol if under the age of 21. again, check the gun laws of the state you are in to be legal.

yes, get more training and if you haven't even consider taking a gun safety class. worry about all of these things before even considering the purchase of any pistol. get the legalities squared away before worrying about which pistol you might want to carry. get past these steps, and then you can move onto the next step.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in NV, one of my friends had his grandfather but his side arm and then they took it to the police station and got it registered in his name. Do you think open carry is a good/bad idea?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. You show
too many hole cards when you OC.

The BG is not going to fight fair; he'll
hide himself and his motives to put
you at a distinct disadvantage. Generally
speaking, the elements of surprise and
initiative will be on his side.

Why voluntarily surrender your few advantages?

Always remember it's not the dog in the fight, it's
the fight in the dog. SD is all about attitude. The
gun (1911 is a favorite of mine.) is not as important
as the mindset. Sometimes a pencil you can use
quickly is better than a gun it takes time to
unholster.

Last, many liberals fear guns. You will draw a lot of
unwanted attention to yourself from all the ninnies.
You will also find out the hard way how few police
actually are familiar with the laws they enforce.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-02-2014 at 10:28 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2819

Here in Ca, you can open carry only in rural areas now days, but that's the only place I have ever opened carry as therewolf said, I don't like to let the bad guy know everything up front.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default CC all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_guy View Post

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!!

You have a distinct advantage being 18 in that you have several years in which to learn, train and get ready to use your 1911 well before you start carrying it in public. I, for one, support open carry but would prefer not to, for all the reasons mentioned so far and it is just not comfortable for me. I tried it, some 40 years ago, and did not like it. I carry everyday now and have for most of those 40 years. I have never been uncomfortable carrying concealed and would highly recommend it over open carry. I'm not one who wants to draw attention to myself but open carry does that, in spades! I prefer to blend in and go about my business without the added "burden" of attention caused by open carry.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2806 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 1631

I am fine with OC in the appropriate places, but if militaries the world over have and still do covet secrecy as possibly the most important aspect of opsec, so will I.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
now BATF regulations say you can purchase a long gun at 18, but you have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL dealer. now state laws vary on whether you can purchase in a private sale or be gifted a pistol from a family member or such and whether you can legally be in possession of a pistol if under the age of 21. again, check the gun laws of the state you are in to be legal.
Actually Axe, you can purchase a long gun from a FFL dealer at 18. It's only handguns and handgun ammunition that you have to be 21 to purchase from a dealer.

Welcome 1911_guy! It's about time we get someone else here that doesn't have a bald head and a big stomach!

As others have said, OC is only legal in certain states. If I had the choice between OC or no carry, I would OC every day. But you do need to practice and train with your firearm before hand. I've been shooting for a few years (not long compared to some of these guys), so I feel pretty comfortable with my abilities to hit my target. Only YOU can make that decision for yourself though.

Make sure you stick around here, you'll learn a lot.

Franklin

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Personally, I think it's a bad idea. You show
too many hole cards when you OC.

The BG is not going to fight fair; he'll
hide himself and his motives to put
you at a distinct disadvantage. Generally
speaking, the elements of surprise and
initiative will be on his side.

Why voluntarily surrender your few advantages?

Always remember it's not the dog in the fight, it's
the fight in the dog. SD is all about attitude. The
gun (1911 is a favorite of mine.) is not as important
as the mindset. Sometimes a pencil you can use
quickly is better than a gun it takes time to
unholster.

Last, many liberals fear guns. You will draw a lot of
unwanted attention to yourself from all the ninnies.
You will also find out the hard way how few police
actually are familiar with the laws they enforce.
I disagree with you saying that the BG is going to have a advantage. Lot's of BG wouldn't even do something if they see a gun in a holster. Not to mention that they probably won't even notice him, since they're going straight for the cash register.

I don't think this guy noticed!

As for voluntarily surrendering your few advantages, I think that you are at a greater disadvantage by being completely unarmed, which he would be due to the CC age being 21.

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!