The one time you're not armed...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > The one time you're not armed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The one time you're not armed...

Once you've obtained your permit to carry a concealed firearm and begin to do so on a regular and eventually habitual basis, have you ever noticed that on the occassions you go places WITHOUT your firearm, you feel naked and somewhat vulnerable without it? Or is that just me?

I just got back to my home in Northern Virginia after spending Christmas with my better half (yes I admit it) and her family at their home in Myrtle Beach. The ONE place down there I didn't carry concealed was the one place that I wished I'd had my pistol, and feared for a few moments that I'd need to defend myself. While buying some sodas at a local convenience store near their house on Christmas eve, two salty-looking characters came in, hoods on, hands in pockets, and split up. One wandered the store near the front, the other immediately went to the back of the store, checked the back door and looked in BOTH bathrooms before joining his buddy. They wandered the store pretending to shop, waiting for the other customers to clear out. Having noticed these two, my fiancee's brother and I stuck around and made small talk with the cashier (and warned him quietly when the thugs weren't looking), then waited there until the two thugs finally got the message that we weren't going to leave the poor unarmed clerk there alone. They finally left after 15 minutes, without buying a thing.

Last time I look at my pistol and say "well it's just a 5 minute trip down the street, I won't need that..." and leave without it.

Hope your Christmas eve was somewhat less eventful!

Just thought I'd share.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #2

I hear ya there. Don't leave your gun at home. Odd how the holidays bring out the crooks and wierdos.

Christmas day my beautiful bride loaded up the kids and went to the gas-station. Before she unloaded the kids to go inside she used the ATM that was on the side of the store. While she was getting some of my hard earned money she heard someone honking. When she turned around there was a crusty old black guy sitting in his car rubbing one out while staring at her and my oldest daughter. She turned back to the ATM dialed 911 and pushed my daughter towards her car. The guy decided to get out of his car and started yelling at her. Yeah she was carrying, but a guy came out of the store and ran him off.

If two little things happened differently things could have gone very badly. Though on a good note the cops got there really quick, and she was calm enough to get the guys plates. Cops called her the next day saying they picked the guy up and he has violent priors, and is on the child offenders list.

Guy is lucky I wasn't home that day.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, all the times we dont carry when we could, when you really think about it. I think we all hae a little bit of a state of denial that something could happen, and all have a little bit of a little voice that says "dont be parananoid". Murphy's law, if something bad happens it will be at the worst time. Glad it worked out for both of you.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

after leaving texas 10 years ago for the people's republic of wisconsin and a good job i havent carried concealed since and i STILL feel naked without it. nowadays i carry a nice combat/work knife or two when possible... leaving this liberal hell hole wont be soon enough for me

Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There are very few times that I go anywhere unarmed, but when I do, I am extremely watchful of my surroundings. I have run across people who I have arrested before in stores and resturants and is is very dicey. When DZScubie and I go somewhere together, usually I am the one who is armed. If someone tries something, they will probably go for him first since he is the "man" and discount me. Boy will they be making a big mistake. Besides, in the summer, in this weather, it is easier for me to carry than him.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This past summer, I had to lock mine in the truck while doing a job at a school. When I got back to the truck, a regular-looking guy on a bike rode up and engaged me in conversation. After 20 seconds, I understood that he was either very jacked on crack or totally insane. I had precisely one screwdriver and a heavy spray nozzle at my disposal, as my firearm was locked in the cab of the truck, just 8 feet and one whackjob away from me. Lots of yelling, jerky physical action, and for some reason a fixation on showing me his fake I.D.
After a good 5 minutes of waiting for the S to H the F, the guy rode off. I am not condoning breaking laws, but you just never, EVER know when things are going to go South without warning.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

So far I have not been in a situation like that, but I do get the same feeling if I am unarmed... I feel vulnerable.
Thats exactly why I bought my .32 keltec, I can carry it year round nearly everywhere.
Lately I've been using it as a backup as the cooler weather has been allowing me to carry the 1911 in a shoulder rig, but sometimes during the warm months the keltec will become the primary defensive tool.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #8

I don't want to be the killjoy or anything but dont let your gun lull you into a false sense of security.

This really isnt directed at anyone just a disclaimer. Your gun does not make you safe. Your willingness and ability to use it profeciently at the right time and to the right level when your moment of truth comes and your general level of awareness are what make you safe.

Im not saying that anyone here does this but if you drop your awareness when you are carrying then that gun isnt really doing you any good.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville View Post
I don't want to be the killjoy or anything but dont let your gun lull you into a false sense of security.

This really isnt directed at anyone just a disclaimer. Your gun does not make you safe. Your willingness and ability to use it profeciently at the right time and to the right level when your moment of truth comes and your general level of awareness are what make you safe.

Im not saying that anyone here does this but if you drop your awareness when you are carrying then that gun isnt really doing you any good.

It's not that I drop my awareness when I am armed, I just know that I have more options available when armed than when not. When not armed, I have to be aware of what is available to use as cover and/or improvised weapons should the proverbial thrown excrement hit the rotating oscillator.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #10

most of the places I go are "pistol free zones" my work (medical care facility) my school, my kids school...so my pistol has to stay locked in the car. This drives me bonkers. Especially considering a prof was murdered in her classroom a few years ago at my school. Shattered my sense of security there.