Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Oklahoma open carry law.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack
Speaking as an Oklahoman.

The biggest part of the legislation is not the open carry aspect. They piggy backed a strong package of 2nd Amendment rights along with it.

Homeowners can now carry open on their property. Businesses can no longer tell employees they cannot have a gun in their vehicle at their place of work. Business owners can of course carry in their business.

They merely took out the word concealed portion of the SDA.

The big plus here is before if you let a shirt tail move when you bent over or reached up by the letter of the law you were brandishing. Now it's no law broken and an easy explanation. Show your license. Also you can tell a police officer at the first available time that you have a license. Before it was a $500 dollar fine. Still if you don't tell them you have a gun it's $100 misdemeanor.

The most important law was signed into law on Wednesday. The state and local government cannot not seize or confiscate any lawfully owned firearms during a natural or man made disaster. No Katrina here!!

I love a law abiding, gun toting Governor! God Bless her and our great state!! And God Bless America!!!!
That's a good point, about the anti confiscation part of what was passed. That was very important.

It was already legal for employees to have a gun locked in their car, I believe. For licensed CCP holders anyway.

Gov Fallin said if the legislation made it to her desk, she would sign it, and sign it she did. So far, we have little to bitch about where our new Governor is concerned.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

I knew that it would be a matter of time before we went to open carry. Ive had the pleasure of meeting governor Fallin back when she was still LT governor. We were all at the annual Sheriff conference in OKC, pretty much all the sheriff conference is,is a 3 day party,pretty fun. ANYWHOO... she is a real down to earth person that shares the same views as most of us here do.
It's funny, I have a certain "faction" of my moms side of the family who are die-hard libs. The best they could come up with against Gov Fallin in the last election was the fact she pronounced government as "gurb-ment".

I would tell them, "yeah...cuz thats what REALLY matters".

Frickin' lib morons....

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #43

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

It's funny, I have a certain "faction" of my moms side of the family who are die-hard libs. The best they could come up with against Gov Fallin in the last election was the fact she pronounced government as "gurb-ment".

I would tell them, "yeah...cuz thats what REALLY matters".

Frickin' lib morons....
I know, bless their pee pickin heart :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #44

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

And i was never aware that it was ever illegal to "open carry" on your own property. I live in a rural area and own 40acres, ive always toted around my guns.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
And i was never aware that it was ever illegal to "open carry" on your own property. I live in a rural area and own 40acres, ive always toted around my guns.
I did the same thing growing up...lived several miles out of town. But really, who the hell knows anymore? They may have made it illegal since then. Really, nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #46

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nice to hear Oklahoma passed open carry .I live in in Tennessee we've been able to open carry for some time now .I open/conceal both just depends on where I'am @ and the people around me .

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #47

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my state, 500,000 people have permits to carry any way they want, but almost nobody does Why? Because in an urban environment, it is stupid to display your hardware. Any LEF or qualified defense instructor will tell you that. Having the right is important and in rural situations, maybe even appropriate. But to display your weapon to show others, "looky here at what I got," we'll that's just dumb in my opinion. And, since it's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #48

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
In my state, 500,000 people have permits to carry any way they want, but almost nobody does Why? Because in an urban environment, it is stupid to display your hardware. Any LEF or qualified defense instructor will tell you that. Having the right is important and in rural situations, maybe even appropriate. But to display your weapon to show others, "looky here at what I got," we'll that's just dumb in my opinion. And, since it's my opinion, I could be wrong.
Well said & I for one agree

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET