Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Oklahoma: Consuming small amounts of alcohol while CCing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Oklahoma: Consuming small amounts of alcohol while CCing?

I know it sounds stupid. However, I CC, and will occasionally go out to eat with friends. I am not a big drinker, and will typically only do so on birthdays or whatever (and would of course not CC then). However, say I am eating dinner with friends or family and one buys / makes some new drink. I were to try a sip while CCing (just to try it), would I be breaking the law? Another would-be common case is if my parents offer me a half-glass of wine or something when I am eating with them (I do leave my gun in the car when I do this), but then half an hour later I go back out to the car to leave? If I still have a minute amount of alcohol in my system, would I be breaking the law since I am still "concealed carrying" a loaded firearm (in OK, it is still considered that if it is loaded and concealed in your vehicle, even if not on your person)?

I have read over the laws in both my Oklahoma Concealed Carry manual, and on Handgunlaw.us, but I can't find if it is expressly prohibited.

On handgunlaw, they actually say this, which makes me wonder if it is not expressly prohibited to do what I am asking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgunlaw.us
Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol: YES

Note: What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. Handgunlaw.us believes you should never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some states it is illegal to take even one drink
while carrying a firearm.

Like I said, I am not a big drinker (don't really like the taste of alcohol, and don't typically like its effects.... not to mention alcohol costs an arm and a leg). However, if occasionally I'd like to try a small taste of someone else's drink (and know it is not nearly enough to have any measurable affect on me physiologically), I don't want to go to jail. I am definitely aware of the legal mess it could cause if I just tried a sip of whatever drink, and then had to use (or even brandish) my pistol for SD, and the officer on the scene smelled it on my breath. So, this wouldn't be a regular occurance, and is just something I am curious about.

Until I figure it out or ever become comfortable with the legal risks, however, I will probably be satisfied with leaving the pistol field-stripped and locked in the trunk, heh.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Until I figure it out or ever become comfortable with the legal risks, however, I will probably be satisfied with leaving the pistol field-stripped and locked in the trunk, heh.
The law is vague, on personal consumption, I do agree on that, and I live in Oklahoma and CC. But I think you have already figured out the safest and most correct answer to your question.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

just say no thanks. consuming alcohol while handling firearms or driving is not smart. it doesnt take much to impare.

when your risking your life or the lives of others when driving or protecting same while carrying the prosecuter will use any amount of alcohol you consume even a drop and turn you into a raging alcoholic in front of the jury. as will the news media and every liberal on the planet regardless of whether you rescued the president from an assassin with a well placed shot or not.

drinking while carrying, regardless of the ammount and laws regarding such, is in my opinion probably on the same level of wise choices as walking into a prison shower naked in handcuffs with "rape me" spray painted all over yourself.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don't!!!!!!!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Don't!!!!!!!!
Gotta agree here. Can you imagine some defense attorney asking you about drinking while carrying a gun? No matter how justified the shooting might be, you'd be completely hosed on the stand. Bottom line - NEVER DRINK AND CARRY. Ever.

-Scott

There's no cure for stupid.