okay i cant decide
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > okay i cant decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default okay i cant decide

okay so heres where im at...im looking to buy a new gun for conceiled carry. im really interested in the glock 23 and the glock 27. i definetaly want a 40 caliber. i also have been looking at the walther pps, the ruger src40 and some sigs and also the compact XD in 40. but i cant make up my mind. im right handed but my strong shooting hand is my left so i need something with an ambidexterous mag release. the glock 23 is what i really want but i dont know if ill be able to carry it well because im only 180lbs and 6'0 tall. so im leaning toward the glock 27 and if i decide to i can add a magazine extension and have it the same size as the 23.......any info or sugestions will help please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I love my glock 23, would not give it up for anything. But it's not easy for me to conceal carry. I have a G26 to carry and it's much easier. I am 6'2" 250 and only carry the 23 when wearing a coat in the winter months. However, if you need or want a pistol that will serve several purposes, great choice.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #3

see thats what im worried about.. i can only afford one so if i get the 23 and i cant conceal it then im screwed. thats why im leaning toward the 27 but i was also wondering if most people dont carry a glock with one in the chamber due to not having an external safety??

Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

To each is own but the glock has a good safety. If I need my gun, it will be in a bad situation where I don't need a second thought about a safety or having to rack one in the chamber. My 23 is mostly a nightstand gun, but I have a do carry it sometimes. I can tell you know the 27 is not as much fun to shoot due to size, first thing you will want to do if picking the 27 is a grip extension. Go to the store, hold them, shoot them and see what feels and fits best.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin125 View Post
see thats what im worried about.. i can only afford one so if i get the 23 and i cant conceal it then im screwed. thats why im leaning toward the 27 but i was also wondering if most people dont carry a glock with one in the chamber due to not having an external safety??
I wouldn't worry about the external safety issue. I always carry with one in the chamber, and this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on here. Check out some IWB options from Crossbreed (like the Supertuck). Many people conceal much larger pistols with them and do it comfortably.

An unchambered Glock is just a brick. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger it won't go BANG until you make it.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An example of why having a round chambered is a good idea

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
An example of why having a round chambered is a good idea
Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube
thats why california banned open carry folks even having a magazine in the gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin125 View Post

if you dont like the glock lack of a real external safety get a springfield xd/m or a 1911 type. both of those have grip safeties and the 1911 has the option of a manual safety as well.

another option is a DA/SA type gun or revolver both have a heavier DA pull

personally i wouldnt carry a glock if i was paid to due to its lack of a real external safety or da pull.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-12-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Austin, I have both a G19 and a G26 (9mm twins of 23 and 27) I love them both but prefer to carry the G-19, more rounds, longer sight radius, more firm grip on the pistol. I do carry the 26 at times depending on clothing but if I had to choose only one I would keep the G-19. As for carrying with a round chambered, no worries. Get a proper holster and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, and you'll be fine. Good Shooting

Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #9

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin125
okay so heres where im at...im looking to buy a new gun for conceiled carry. im really interested in the glock 23 and the glock 27. i definetaly want a 40 caliber. i also have been looking at the walther pps, the ruger src40 and some sigs and also the compact XD in 40. but i cant make up my mind. im right handed but my strong shooting hand is my left so i need something with an ambidexterous mag release. the glock 23 is what i really want but i dont know if ill be able to carry it well because im only 180lbs and 6'0 tall. so im leaning toward the glock 27 and if i decide to i can add a magazine extension and have it the same size as the 23.......any info or sugestions will help please
Hey austin, I have a glock 23 and 27. I am a smaller guy 5'10 and 170 lb. I would suggest carrying the 23 over the 27 anyday. The 23 isnt much harder to conceal and its imo a "stronger" gun. The 23 holds more rounds, has a better sight picture so you can shoot more accurately and its a better all purpose gun.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.
20111005_010533-1.jpg   forumrunner_20111113_221032.jpg  

Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am only 5'7 and about 170 lbs...I can conceal my G17 in my Supertuck very easily. Get a good holster and you'll be able to conceal a 23 just fine...unless you're the kind of guy that insists on wearing skin tight shirts all the time.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War