Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   okay i cant decide (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/okay-i-cant-decide-51507/)

austin125 11-10-2011 02:23 AM

okay i cant decide

okay so heres where im at...im looking to buy a new gun for conceiled carry. im really interested in the glock 23 and the glock 27. i definetaly want a 40 caliber. i also have been looking at the walther pps, the ruger src40 and some sigs and also the compact XD in 40. but i cant make up my mind. im right handed but my strong shooting hand is my left so i need something with an ambidexterous mag release. the glock 23 is what i really want but i dont know if ill be able to carry it well because im only 180lbs and 6'0 tall. so im leaning toward the glock 27 and if i decide to i can add a magazine extension and have it the same size as the 23.......any info or sugestions will help please:confused:

Powersportgiant 11-10-2011 02:32 AM

I love my glock 23, would not give it up for anything. But it's not easy for me to conceal carry. I have a G26 to carry and it's much easier. I am 6'2" 250 and only carry the 23 when wearing a coat in the winter months. However, if you need or want a pistol that will serve several purposes, great choice.

austin125 11-10-2011 02:46 AM

see thats what im worried about.. i can only afford one so if i get the 23 and i cant conceal it then im screwed. thats why im leaning toward the 27 but i was also wondering if most people dont carry a glock with one in the chamber due to not having an external safety??

Powersportgiant 11-10-2011 03:00 AM

To each is own but the glock has a good safety. If I need my gun, it will be in a bad situation where I don't need a second thought about a safety or having to rack one in the chamber. My 23 is mostly a nightstand gun, but I have a do carry it sometimes. I can tell you know the 27 is not as much fun to shoot due to size, first thing you will want to do if picking the 27 is a grip extension. Go to the store, hold them, shoot them and see what feels and fits best.

HighSpeed 11-12-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin125 (Post 623783)
see thats what im worried about.. i can only afford one so if i get the 23 and i cant conceal it then im screwed. thats why im leaning toward the 27 but i was also wondering if most people dont carry a glock with one in the chamber due to not having an external safety??

I wouldn't worry about the external safety issue. I always carry with one in the chamber, and this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on here. Check out some IWB options from Crossbreed (like the Supertuck). Many people conceal much larger pistols with them and do it comfortably.

An unchambered Glock is just a brick. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger it won't go BANG until you make it.

HighSpeed 11-12-2011 04:41 AM

An example of why having a round chambered is a good idea

JonM 11-12-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighSpeed (Post 625580)
An example of why having a round chambered is a good idea
Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube

thats why california banned open carry folks even having a magazine in the gun...

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin125 (Post 623783)

if you dont like the glock lack of a real external safety get a springfield xd/m or a 1911 type. both of those have grip safeties and the 1911 has the option of a manual safety as well.

another option is a DA/SA type gun or revolver both have a heavier DA pull

personally i wouldnt carry a glock if i was paid to due to its lack of a real external safety or da pull.

locnload 11-14-2011 03:28 AM

Austin, I have both a G19 and a G26 (9mm twins of 23 and 27) I love them both but prefer to carry the G-19, more rounds, longer sight radius, more firm grip on the pistol. I do carry the 26 at times depending on clothing but if I had to choose only one I would keep the G-19. As for carrying with a round chambered, no worries. Get a proper holster and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, and you'll be fine. Good Shooting :)

Alpha1Victor 11-14-2011 04:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by austin125
okay so heres where im at...im looking to buy a new gun for conceiled carry. im really interested in the glock 23 and the glock 27. i definetaly want a 40 caliber. i also have been looking at the walther pps, the ruger src40 and some sigs and also the compact XD in 40. but i cant make up my mind. im right handed but my strong shooting hand is my left so i need something with an ambidexterous mag release. the glock 23 is what i really want but i dont know if ill be able to carry it well because im only 180lbs and 6'0 tall. so im leaning toward the glock 27 and if i decide to i can add a magazine extension and have it the same size as the 23.......any info or sugestions will help please:confused:

Hey austin, I have a glock 23 and 27. I am a smaller guy 5'10 and 170 lb. I would suggest carrying the 23 over the 27 anyday. The 23 isnt much harder to conceal and its imo a "stronger" gun. The 23 holds more rounds, has a better sight picture so you can shoot more accurately and its a better all purpose gun.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

USMC-03 11-15-2011 11:46 PM

I am only 5'7 and about 170 lbs...I can conceal my G17 in my Supertuck very easily. Get a good holster and you'll be able to conceal a 23 just fine...unless you're the kind of guy that insists on wearing skin tight shirts all the time.