Okay, gun? Check. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Okay, gun? Check. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Okay, gun? Check. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check...

Knife?

I'm not talking about a knife as a weapon, but a knife as a tool and emergency resource.

Several years ago, horrified onlookers could only watch as a woman whose clothing had somehow caught in the machinery of an escalator was strangled to death. NOBODY HAD A SIMPLE POCKETKNIFE, or she could have been freed before it was too late.

When I was a kid, right after the War of 1812, nearly all men and boys, and a great many women and girls, carried pocketknives. We needed them more often then, of course. Packages were tied with string, and nothing was sold in those wretched bubble packs that require a chainsaw and C4 to open. There were pencils (remember them?) to sharpen. Cheese and bologna generally weren't sold pre-sliced. And so on--you get the point.

But a pocketknife can literally be a lifesaver even today, and short of that can be damned useful.

In addition to my carry gun in my right front pocket, in the left I have two knives: a Swiss Army type (the model that till recently was actually issued to Swiss troops) primarily for the tools; and one for cutting, usually a three-bladed stockman pattern.

I don't often need to use them anymore, though there certainly are times I do. But I'd feel as naked and unprepared without them as without my gun.

Do you carry a knife as a tool?

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Only when my pants are on--
Don't have to be up tho Oh wait- this ain't the dating thread

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts

Hell, yeah! The only time I don't have a knife on my person is when I flying somewhere (damn TSA regulations!).

I've actually got a drawer full of pocket knives but some of my favorites are the Spyderco Delica (combo edge), Victorinox Farmer or Case Large Trapper.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts

The Farmer is a good one! My all-time favorite was a Schrade Old Timer 4" three-blade stockman, made before their QC started to slip and DEFINITELY before that fine old company folded and Old Timers began to be made in China. The story of why I no longer have it is too sad...

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have carried a small Swiss Army knife for decades - every day. And I have always used it often. And I, too, have been amazed at how many people are unable to deal with the daily things that come up that require a blade to "fix". Some see me "come to the rescue" over and over again - but it just doesn't occur to them somehow that they could be prepared for life's troubles, too - by carrying a small knife.
I just don't get it!

But I have in recent times added a much more substantial blade who's intent is to assist me with a possible people problem - if I am unarmed at the time. I go through military gates nearly every day - and they frown on firearms pretty severely. So I am often in a non-carry status.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2734 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Virtyally everyday since I was 19 y.o. Got stupid and lost most of my 2 front teeth. Have had caps ever since and don't like to use them to tear things open. Usually a stockman type.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't leave home without one. There's a couple in the truck and several spread around the house. There's two right here in the top desk drawer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

I have a very small Sog pocket knife on my key chain. I use it fairly often for little jobs like opening things, etc.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #9

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I carry a Remington tac series I with combo edge (aka partially serrated) got it on sale years ago, paid 12 bicks, i use it for everything from sd to packages to food (opening slit in an orange peel yesterday) absolutely best pocket knife i ever bought, has an interesting blade shape. I would really like to get a gerber applegate-fairbairn for sd, but that will have to wait. I also keep a "jeep" or "humvee" brand one in my vehicle, crappy lock so not good for sd, but the window breaker and seatbelt cutter are all i wanted it for.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have mine as a key chain also. I gave up trying to carry one in a pocket or belt clip, I just always seem loose them somewhere.

lbk3_m.jpg